Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Handling a Hot Plate Setter

Options
Ar-Cee
Ar-Cee Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I burned the cloth off the ends of my Weber BBQ Mitts (and used all my self control to get the plate setter put down safely). Since that time, I have always done my direct first, then, waited for the egg to cool and put in the plate setter. Are there a pair of gloves that will allow me to handle a hot plate setter? (not 600 degree dome, but, up to maybe 350 dome?) This would let me switch from indirect to direct. thanks in advance. rc

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes.
    For about $15.00 you can get a pair of welder's gloves at Home Depot.

They also come in handy when searing steaks at high heat or working the grill anytime there are flames or just opening your Egg when there's a raging inferno that is waiting for a little more Oxygen to explode into a flashback.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i bet rethinking your inderect setup might be easier. a simple pan, or a small pizza stone with a pan sitting on it makes a better inderect setup than a platesetter. the only real time i can see that big platesetter being beneficial is during pizza cooks and bread cooks. i may be living in the dark as i dont have one or never had the need for one but thats the way i see it. some use welding gloves, others use thos orca mitts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I highly recommend one of the many Silicone products (Orka is just one)
    kkapers2_2002_177096701
    These things are great. When they get dirty, you can just put them in the dishwasher.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    i'll second that!

21jan07_1-006.jpg
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I got these welding gloves for Fathers Day. My got them at Grainger. They don't sell to the public, but when she told him they were for BBQ he laughed and sold them to her.
    foodonegg.jpg
    Big Bird with Kevlar.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    When I need to do this, I use my (sturdy) BBQ tongs as the primary lifting mechanism, sliding them under the platesetter and grabbing it as close to the middle as possible to balance it. I then use a leather BBQ glove on my other hand to hold it steady while I lift and move it. Because the tongs are holding the weight, you don't have to grip hard with the glove, and the heat doesn't transfer very quickly.

Before moving it, I open my gas grill and use the grate as a safe and convenient place to put the hot plate setter. Once it's in there I close the lid so I don't accidently touch it, and so the hound doesn't burn his tongue off, since he obviously has to lick it. :P

Hadn't thought about those silicone gloves - I may give that a try too.

-John
  • porchegg
    porchegg Posts: 47
    Options
    I was pondering this same question after making quesadillas the other day.

Welding gloves, great idea.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I'd like to hear more from folks who use silicone gloves like Orca. I see on Amazon a standard Orca for $14 and a Pro model for $25. Any experience with these or others?
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I just pick it up wearing my Steve Raichlen gloves that, sadly, seem to have been discontinued.

Might want to try this pair that Cook's Illustrated really likes:
    GRILL LIFE GRILL GLOVES Durable rawhide leather.

They're 14 bucks and look a lot like the Raichlen version.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I got my orcas @ Bed Bath & Beyond on sale for $9.99 each. They are GREAT!!. I can take out the platsetter and take my time getting it safely set down to cool.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yeah, I tried to handle a hot platesetter with an expensive Pampered Chef Grill Glove. I just about lost a hand. These orkas are great.

Do a froogle search on them to see where you might get them cheap. I got mine at Target.

BTW, I would get two of them.

31EgovjX5RL._AA280_.jpg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yeah, Smokey, I definitely love mine.

No matter what I have grabbed with them. I do not even feel the heat.

Greg
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks to all that replied (or even read it in sympathy). I believe I will try the orcas because they look very "non-slip" to me. The only thing that might be as much fun as holding a hot place setter while watching my gloves burn, would be dropping a hot plate setter on the concrete and watching it shatter. Again, thanks to everyone. Your willingness to share your knowledge is what makes this forum great (especially for us new guys). rc
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    the trick is to use them or at least keep with in reach of the egg. I thought I could do it faster last night changing out from the brisket to the potatoes and I think I lost my right thumb print through a towel to my plate setter. LOL stupid it still hurts :S
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    Davekatz wrote:
    I just pick it up wearing my Steve Raichlen gloves that, sadly, seem to have been discontinued.

Might want to try this pair that Cook's Illustrated really likes:
    GRILL LIFE GRILL GLOVES Durable rawhide leather.

They're 14 bucks and look a lot like the Raichlen version.

Dave

If you have BBQ Galore near you (or check BBQ Galore online) they sell the white gloves like the Steve Raichlen's for $14. I bought two pair for pulling pork and handling hot meats for wrapping and coolering. I will try the Orcas and see how the compare for insulative value.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I started out using a regular pair of leather gloves and on top of that a bigger pair of welding gloves. That worked, but when handling a hot plate setter I had to get from A to B fairly quickly. I now use Orka gloves, and it takes much longer for the heat to get thru. The only slight downside is you no longer have use of your fingers, your hand becomes a lobster claw, but no big deal.
  • Unknown
    Options
    One more thing, leather glove get nasty real quick, most silicone gloves can be thrown in the dishwasher.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Hi is that a small in the picture? If so where did you get the wings?
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    that's a medium egg. big green egg doesn't make the shelves for the small.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Just received a pair of the Orkas for Father's Day and they ROCK! HIGHLY recommended...
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Went to a couple of grill stores and a couple of kitchen stores to look over my options, then came home and ordered a couple of 11" Orcas. Thanks to all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Those look like my welders gloves!
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    I cannot recommend enough Galeton Gloves.

While I have tried the Orca's, and I have welding gloves up the yinyang (Harbor freight has them cheap). My Galeton's are unbeatable.

http://www.galeton.com/item_detail.asp?SKU=6514&CategoryID=&SubCategoryID=

nooBBQ
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    I actually have two pair, one for the dirty work, and one for touching food etc. The "dirty" ones, I can actually move coal around, or even pickup some coals from the egg and drop them into the fireplace to get that started.

Picking up the platesetter is no biggy at all, and even the 14" still goes much further over my wrist than the Orca ever will.

nooBBQ,