Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheaper plate setter?

Options
Vincent Chase
Vincent Chase Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a search of the forums and didn't seem to pull up anything relevant, so if this has been asked before and I missed it, my apologies.

I have been looking to do some indirect cooking and don't know if I can justify (at this moment in time) the $40 that it would cost to pick up a plate setter for my LBGE and was wondering if anyone had jimmyrigged something together that works just as well?

Thanks in advance,

VC

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    A few fire bricks at $1.25 a piece.

Mike
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hey Vince,
    Anything that you can put between the heat and the meat, so that the heat does not directly hit the meat, is "indirect cooking". That said, you could use a waterpan, a pizza stone, firebrick as mentioned below, or even hang a "four sided foil hammock" below the grate(I did this for years in my homemade smokers). As long as you create a way for the heat to be absorbed, and a dead space between the meat and heat, you'll be ok. HTH.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    If you can find fire bricks you be fine!

Set them up like this | _ _ | and you basically have a plate setter
  • Unknown
    Options
    Before the use of plate setters, some folks just made up their setups for indirect cooking. This is my "Contraption" and has been in use for about 9 years. I only use the plate setter for baking as this works great and gives me max room.

5contbge2Mvc-024e.jpg

Dipstick
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    firebricks or a pizza stone with a raised grid is my mainstay, no real need for a platesetter. even a pan with or without sand in it will work. i use a paella pan routinly for inderect setups.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I use an 8-1/2" diameter stainless pot lid or a 9" aluminum cake pan on the GrateMates ring in the SBGE, but I could just as well support them with a couple of pieces of rebar.

DSC01124.jpg