Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Recipe

Options
ShortRIb
ShortRIb Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking of rubbing a pork belly with sugar and slow cooking. Does anyone have any good recipes? What about times and temps?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you mean for bacon? i don't think anyone just eats a por
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i was able to find thirteen http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/pork+bellies/search.do?searchString=pork+bellies&site=food&gosearch=&searchType=Recipe

however i have never done them. but you can adjust any of them for the egg.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    NOT BGE food, but an interesting meal.

Pork, Butt, Pork Belly, Vietnamese Braised Pork Belly, Thit Kho

The coconut water used in this recipe is the clear liquid from the heart of the immature coconut. Do not confuse it with the white coconut milk (canned and frozen) that is extracted from the grated flesh of the mature coconut. You may purchase coconut water frozen; it is usually sold in clear, square or rectangular plastic bags -- sometimes a few thin slices of coconut meat are included. Pork belly (where bacon comes from) is the desired and traditional cut for this dish because it has the perfect balance of lean meat to fat. However, you may substitute the leaner Boston butt.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 - 2 lbs pork belly or side pork, or Boston butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
    3 Tbs oil
    4 Tbs sugar
    3 Cloves garlic, slivered
    2 shallots, slivered
    2 Tbs peeled, slivered fresh ginger
    1/3-1/2 cup fish sauce
    12 oz fresh or frozen coconut water (see head note)
    4 hard-cooked eggs, quartered

Procedure:
    1 In a thick-walled 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan, heat the oil and add the sugar, stirring until the sugar melts. Cook until the sugar turns a light brown and caramelizes. Add the garlic, shallots and ginger. They will sizzle. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
    2 Over high heat, add the pork belly and stir. Add the fish sauce and coconut water. The liquid should barely cover the pieces of pork. Add water if necessary. Bring to a boil, add the eggs, cover and cook on medium heat for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove lid and cook until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, or comes up about one third of the way on the pork.
    3 Serve warm.
    4 Marinate the pork overnight in garlic, shallots, sugar fish sauce. Place eggs in pot and at the end chop them up.

Yield: Serves 6 to 8

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: Vietworldkitchen.com, 2006/09/09
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    only thing i have ever heard about pork belly is .... cured and dried = pancetta or cured and smoked = bacon, which i did last week and it is so good i added a word to the glossary
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    I take the rib bones out of the belly, and remove the skin. I then put a line of stuffing (I think you call it dressing in US) down the centre and roll into a long cylinder, and tie it securely. I rub with what ever suitable spices I have to hand at the time, and cook in the egg for about 90 minutes at 325. I add a chunk of apple wood at the start for smoke.
    10 minutes before it is cooked I glaze with some honey and grain mustard for a nice fininh, and when I take it off I rest the meat for 10/15 minutes before carving.

Alternatively, cut into strips, and coat with flour, egg and breadcrumbs in that order. Cook in a pan with olive oil until lightly brown, and they cook indirect in the egg, with no smoke for about 20 minutes at 300.

Serve both dishes with apple sauce on the side.