Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg arrived

Options
doublesuited
doublesuited Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hey everyone. i am officially an egghead now. got my new Egg (Large) with nest and wheels.

A few questions.

1) any advice on must have accessories?

2) advice on the first cook? i've heard that you shouldn't get it too hot on the first few cooks, is this true?

thanks,

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    1. You will get tons of suggestions. Get what is right for you.. But a plate setter, pizza stone and MAPP torch are all good.

2. chicken is always good. As for the heat. People have a tenacity to get it too hot and are afraid to admit it. Anything above 700 you risk melting the gasket. The older the eggs is the more stuff adheres to the gasket. With a new gasket no gook to protect it.

Furthermore there really is no reason to get the egg above 650 except to say you can. A steak sears at 650 just as well as it does at 700. Pizza is best at 550.

Cook, Be Happy and read everything you can on this forum.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    All good advice from CW and I think most would agree that this is a must read for additional info and advice.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Well thought out reply to your question by CW. Follow his advise and I would say you will be just fine.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    What Pete said and add the extended grid. -RP
  • Kaila
    Kaila Posts: 9
    Options
    Congrats on your new BGE. You will love it. It took me a few times to get the timing right,so first few meals, don't hurry. Steaks are easy, grilled veggies and baked potatoes are easy took.

I have the plate setter,pizza stone and are used often. I also got a "grill wok" at the store and use it often as well. Turkey believe it or not is as easy as can be. Heat up the grill to 400 and put it on and leave it alone and it looks beautiful in a few hours. (plate setter with legs up, drip pan on plate setter and put the turkey right on the grill.
    Remember NOT to open BGE to "check" just look thru the daisy wheel on top.

Kaila
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    This is a great example of why it would be nice to have a few folders that would be sticky or a whole separate section. It comes up often enough and it would be a great reference shopping list! :cheer:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    One small problem.. So many GOOD questions are asked and answered over and over the sticky posts would outnumber the new posts.

People don't search the archives for answers to these questions now. Hell they barely look at the visible posts for similar questions. I doubt they will search the sticky posts.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I feel that answering newbie questions (mine included =), is part of what makes this forum, and egging in general so special. We all like to post pics, and share recipes, as well as learn what others are doing, but directly answering one of our new bretheren when they have questions not only helps them, but can make them feel lilke they are part of something really great.

Just my opinion....which of course are like xxxxxxxx, and many of them stink.
  • doublesuited
    Options
    Kaila wrote:
    Congrats on your new BGE. You will love it. It took me a few times to get the timing right,so first few meals, don't hurry. Steaks are easy, grilled veggies and baked potatoes are easy took.

I have the plate setter,pizza stone and are used often. I also got a "grill wok" at the store and use it often as well. Turkey believe it or not is as easy as can be. Heat up the grill to 400 and put it on and leave it alone and it looks beautiful in a few hours. (plate setter with legs up, drip pan on plate setter and put the turkey right on the grill.
    Remember NOT to open BGE to "check" just look thru the daisy wheel on top.

Kaila

another couple dumb questions.

1) can the pizza stone be used for many other things than pizza?

2) what is the best tool for grilling veggies? i assume the grill wok?
  • pyro
    pyro Posts: 47
    Options
    Get some welding gloves
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Ouch didn't mean it as a slam or anything, :( it is just something that I would use too. and I have egged for over a year now. Sometimes I feel stupid asking what I know has been asked a million times over but can't find in the archives or through the search. I am all for answering every newbies question and try to help when I can if there are not a lot of senors online that might get back quicker and even us jouner eggers are just a little unsure sometimes and need back up before we jump in a different cook. :blush:

looks like i need welding gloves? LOL
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sorry Mainegg, wasnt trying to critisize you, or insinuate you don't want to help others. I just felt like expressing a general opinion of mine. Please don't take offense.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    :) alls good here.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Yes, the pizza stone can be used inplace of the platesetter for an indirect cooking setup, but the platesetter is pretty much indispensable.

And yes, a grill wok, or a flat perforated pan works well for me.

Welcome to the forum.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    First, there are the EGG accessories. I platesetter is always good for the indirect cooks. In fact, I was a bit intimidated by the EGG at first and used my platesetter for my first couple of cooks.

Plate-Setter.gif

The next is an ash tool and grid lifter. The ash tool is needed to clean out your ash and the grid lifter will help you take off the got gird.

Also, there is the grill exteneder. This has two purposed. First is increase your space. Second is to get the cook a little further from the fire. The second really does make quite a difference.

Grill-Extender.gif

You will also need some good gloves. The changing out accessories mid cook can be a killer. I almost burned my hand off picking up a hot platesetter with a Pampered Chef grill glove. Most everyone has these:

31EgovjX5RL._AA280_.jpg

For me, I spent the first couple of months using the BGE firestarters to start the EGG. I have recently bought a MAPP torch which has decreased my prep time in half.

Personally, I have had my EGG since October and believe that I have spent more on accessories that I did not the EGG. This would include a sittin' chicken

steamer-chicken-display.jpg

A V-Rack

V-Rack.gif

A chicken wing rack (which is great in smoking drums)

master:BH013.jpg

A great one for brick oven style pizza is the pizza stone. Note that this is used with the platesetter (feet down). A 600 degree pizza in the EGG is a very special thing.

Baking-Stones.gif

and the ultimate must, a BGE table. I do not know what I would do without this workspace. In fact, I have landscape bricks on the rails around it to hold hot accessories that I pull out of the EGG.

Long%20Table.jpg

For the first cook, I would try a spatchcock chicken. It is easy with great results.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Greg
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    Mainegg wrote:
    This is a great example of why it would be nice to have a few folders that would be sticky or a whole separate section. It comes up often enough and it would be a great reference shopping list! :cheer:

I belong to an internet fishing club, http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com that has over 10,000 members and we have a special tutorial section written by old salts on items from how to use downriggers to crabbing for dungness crab. These are specialized tutorials that are great reads and instructions to get beginners up to speed with little confusion and having a lot less questions and they become more of an asset by being able to work on their intermediate skills after learning the basics.
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I burned the ends off of my Weber Mitts trying to lift a hot platesetter. I have never tried to lift it again. What are the blue mittens shown in East Cobb Eggy's post. I really would like to be able to go from indirect to direct instead of the other way around with the long cool downs. Without hijacking the thread, is there a safe way to take out the placesetter when it is hot? thanks rc