Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg arrives today - first attempt?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So the egg arrives this evening. I bought a steak, which I thought would be a reasonably easy first meal - then I read warnings about searing on your first use.

My question - should I worry about using the egg to sear on the first use? Or should I just cook the steat at 450/500 and wait for a few uses to cook on high heat?

thanks in advance,

7smcb

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Rule of thumb is no cooks over 400 degrees for the first 10 or so.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    my two cents.....wait for high temp searing. You dont want to have to replace a gasket on your brand new egg.
    There is nothing wrong with cooking a steak at 300-350. No, you wont have significant grill marks, and it will take longer. But being that you are cookng them on a BGE, they will have pleanty of juice.

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new hobby.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As someone who toasted his first Egg gasket when it was 5 days old, and then his second Egg gasket when it was 1 day old, I'd have to say, yeah, keep it low for awhile.

Also, do the dollar bill check. If you put the lid down on a dollar bill, it should not slide out too easily anywhere. It seems sometimes during transport the lid may get a little unseated, and not give the best seal without adjustment.

One thing to notice. The temperature is likely to come up quite slowly at first. After reaching 300, the rise will be much faster. I have timed increases of 100 degrees per minute when above 400. So, above 350, don't walk away for too long.
  • PedroWuzHere
    Options
    Why don't you sear the steak in a pan first, then finish the baking process @ 400'. This way you can make a sauce with the tasty bits left in the pan
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    Looks llike i'm doing a slightly low, slightly slow steak tonight.

Better that than damaging it - I very much appreciate your welcome and your help.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can go 450 or so and be fine.

if you want, take the fire ring out and drop the grill down to the top of the fire box. that close to 1200 degree lump is quite a sear. the dome may say "450", but the lump buns much hotter.

closer you are to it, the higher the sear temp.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I would not cook anything over 400 degrees for my first 10-12 cooks.

Try doing a spatchcock chicken.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

It is simple and the results are great.

Greg