Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My very first boston butt...awesome

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my BGE for a few years but never took the time to try pulled pork. Oh my, what I've been missing. My first attempt was a big success.[p]I used Emeril's rub recipe which is the following:[p]3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons Essence
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne[p]I applied the rub and refrigerated for 24hrs prior to cooking. I could not believe how good the pork butt smelled as I removed it from the refrigerator. Incredible aroma.[p]As far as cooking is concerned, I followed Elder Ward's method found in the recipe section of this site. I fired up the egg at 11PM last night. The only problem I had with this cooking was the fire went out this morning, so there was a brief delay to recover from it. I probably should read Elder's instructions again on how to properly build the fire. But by 4PM, the pork butt was ready to go. No wet mop needed, this pork was very moist indeed.[p]As far as sauce is concerned, I prefer to pickup the large container of Sonny's sweet at Sam's Club. Everyone in my family really likes the sauce, so I go with it.[p]IMHO if the pork is cooked properly, just about any sauce will do.

Comments

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    threewide,
    That really sounds good.
    I would like to try that rub recipe.
    I have to admit that I don't think I have seen 'essence' as an ingredient. Can you describe it?
    Thanks
    JodyMo

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    threewide,
    Congrats on the butt! Sounds great.
    The last butt I cooked was just last week and I used coarse Dizzy Dust from our own Nature Boy and BBQfan1. EGGCELLENT!
    I highly recommend it.
    bd

• Unknown
    Options
    threewide,
    Glad to see your post & read of your sucess. I will have to try a Butt soon!
    I had my first pulled pork sandwich last month on a trip to Virginia & was hooked right away. We dont get much of that style here in Ohio, so it was a new treat for me. I'm gonna have to try to duplicate it myself!
    Doc Pigg
    (who needs to start living up to this new nickname!)

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    JodyMo,[p]
    Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):Emeril of TVFood channl
    2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme[p]Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container. [p]Yield: about 2/3 cup [p]Hope this helps...nde

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    threewide,[p]Welcome to the world of Pulled Pork from The Big Green Egg!
    Before you continue on the path you have chosen Grasshopper, go immediately to your nearest gym and sign up. Get a trainer and start working out every day! This is a requirement! Then after the first three months of your new exercise program you can start eating Pulled Pork regularly.
    (Look around the forum these people aren't old they've been eating Pulled Pork for too long.) ;>)