Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg: Searing and getting up to temp ?

Options
greeneggers
greeneggers Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey,everyone, great forum!

Brand new egg (used twice so far) and I'm hoping to sear some steaks tonight.

I keep reading about searing at 650 but I have not been able to get the egg over 600, even with the daisy top off and the bottom vent door and screen wide open.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Make sure the holes in the fire box are clear.
    Ross
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yep!! Don't fret the 50 degrees. However, if you insist make sure that the opening in side of the fire box near the bottom lines up with the vent. Get a wire coat hanger and straighten it out. At one end bend 90 degrees about 2" from the end. Insert this into the bottom vent and locate the holes in the fire grate. Gently push the bent part up through the holes to clear them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    with the top vent sitting on the table, bottom vent and screen wide open, firebox opening lined up with bottom vent, all ash removed and fresh lump filled up higher than the firebox up into the ring, the large egg will go well over 1100 degrees. it just takes time. im assuming you have a large, the small takes longer and i dont think mine will go much over 850 but ive never really tried, the small takes longer.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Personally, I would not sear a steak on an EGG for its third cook.

Basically, the problem is that your gasket is not properly seasoned. Therefore, the glue could come loose causing a big mess, or the gasket could catch on fire.

I would probably wait until 10 cooks before doing steak.

Also, get a cast iron grate to do it. They are great.

Greg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Yeap, my first cook on the large was over 700...did not know then about the gasket issue.....Thank God nothing much happened to it......just a few minute pieces came off ....had I know then, I'd probably have done a few medium heat cooks before attempting high searing. Good luck.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    How much charcoal are you using? Make sure to fill up the firebox to the top. You need plenty of air and plenty of fuel to hit the top temps.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    Seared a steak my first time out. Temp was at 650. I did not have a problem with the gasket at all, although I did burn the hair off of my arms. DONT FORGET TO BURP!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Personally, I think burping damages gaskets. I prefer to open the vents and let things start burning again before slowly opening the lid.
    The Naked Whiz
  • greeneggers
    Options
    Ok, first of all you guys rock! This is one of the highest energy forums I've ever seen. Maybe it's all the red meat... :-)

Got it to 650 last night for the steak sear by using more wood than I had before (everything else, like top off etc, was already set correctly). So I think that's the variable. They were delicious.

Good to know about "seasoning the gasket."