Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
trish
trish Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This newbie will try pizza this weekend. I have a stone and some experience in a conventional oven. Any advice?????????????? :)

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    Trish

I use the platesetter with legs down and place the stone on it. I use parchment paper between the dough and the stone.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    What temp do you cook at and doesn't the parchment burn?
  • Cookinegger
    Options
    The biggest problem I had was moving the pizza onto the grill. I used ready-made dough from the grocery store and spread it out. It was only vaguely circular and the dough was very soft. By the way, 1 lb of dough makes one pizza, I had assumed it would make two. Wrong. I didnt try the parchment paper - I guess it would make the pizza easier to get off the peel but I wonder if it would impede getting a crisp crust (probably not if the stone is hot enough). Mine took about 8 min to cook - I'm glad I checked after 5 min. I used indirect heat with the plate setter inverted and a pizza stone on top the grill. I think it was about 450 deg.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    last time i did pizza i did it indirect with a grate and then a extended great on top of that then my pizza stone it was my best effort so far

03-03-08001.jpg

but i have done the deep dish with eggcellent results

DSCN0266.jpg

there was a thread on page 2 about pizza here is the link
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=461960&catid=1

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Trish, a lot depends on how involved you want to get. The end results are a combination of factors. I personally like to make my own dough, and use a no-knead process that really works well. I make my own sauces (whether tomato, caesar, barbecue, or otherwise).

I have some recipes and a step by step picture guide Click Here

502-pizza.png
  • trish
    Options
    Grate with extended grate??? Your pic looks awesome but i'm still unclear as to what to do?
  • trish
    Options
    Grate with extended grate??? Your pic looks awesome but i'm still unclear as to what to do?
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I like to put the Eggs feet between the platesetter and my stone. Less likely to burn my crust.
    I make my own dough and use techniques modified from here http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/
    I suggest a high hydration for high temps.
    I'm just an beginer because I still have a little of my gasket left :laugh:
    If your lucky theres a guy who makes a rocket out of his egg with some terific pictures.
    TTFN WLL
  • BENTE
    Options
    ok first i have the platesetter with the legs pointing up, then the cast iron great {you can use the standard one} the if you can see in the picture there is a extended grate... here is a better pic of the extended grate
    superbowl08002.jpg

i put my pizza stone on top of it... with this setup you can get pretty high in the dome and it worked for me... worked really well for me ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Cookinegger wrote:
    I didnt try the parchment paper - I guess it would make the pizza easier to get off the peel but I wonder if it would impede getting a crisp crust (probably not if the stone is hot enough). .

You don't leave the parchment paper in for the entire cook...slide the paper and pie onto the stone and leave about 2 mins...the bottom of the pie will firm up and start to crisp..then you can slide the paper out and leave the pie directly on the stone... ;)
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    What Bente is trying to show you is a good way to get the pie high up into the dome... if you don't have the extended grate..use platesetter legs down, then sit the pizza stone on the egg feet...like so...
    FirstSuccessfulPizza006.jpg

I dont use super high temps for my pies...400-500 dome is plenty hot enough...
    52d74169.jpg
    f6b79c98.jpg
    d54ff408.jpg
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea here is what it looks like with out the extended grate

101_0359.jpg
    if you do not put the little "feet" under it you can hit your gasket like you can see i did in that picture... i like the extended grate if you do not have one use the feet for now.. just make sure the pizza stone is not sitting directly on the stone like in this picture
    101_0023.jpg

it is still good but you may end up burning the bottom.. i really like the feet for making bread though
    Picture010.jpg
    i know terrible picture but the endresult was good
    bread003.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    Options
    When I removed the paper, I also turned in 180 to prevent any unevenness. Another tip is to make sure you put your stone in as it heats up to prevent cracking of the stone and to wife it off just before putting the pie on, as there can be some ash on the stone.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSCN1584.jpg
    Trish,
    Put your pizza stone on a raised grid. I like a thin crust,
    Ross

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/recipe.jsp?recipe_id=R40
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    1. Know how you are going to move the prepped pizza to the stone, personally I use parchment paper. This is very important as it can get very messy

2. If you have a trader joe's local to you, pick up some of their "garlic and herb" pizza dough. It is great.

3. When done, this is a good time to clean the inside of your dome. You a crumbled aluminum foil ball to remove any flaking.

4. Have fun. I find that making pizzas on the EGG are fun. The kids have fun making them and they come out so quick. I cook mine at 600 for about 8 minutes.

Greg