Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need ideas please!

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My boss is challanging us to cook a meal tomorrow. He said steak, potatoe and a veggy. I need all the ideas I can get. My thoughts kbob the steak, stuff it. cut it so I could roll it up with something. That is all I can come up with.
I appreciate any input I could get.
Also potato ideas would be great.
There in no deep fryer but we do have a flame grill, steamer, and oven.
Thank you,
Molly
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Cut steak in cubes, wrap in bacon, grill.
    Cut potatoes, wrap in bacon, grill.
    Cut veggies, wrap in bacon, grill.
    Repeat as necessary!! :lol:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    If you are going the kabob direction, marinate, marinate, marinate! I like burgandy wine for the steak. Add some worcester and soy. soak the veggies too. Remember you may have to inject to get the flavor in a short time so have an injection needle and marinade ready to go.

For the potato, cut them into wedges, brush with mayo, season heavily, then shake them in a bag of bread crumbs. Onto a pan, into an oven for about 35 mins at 400F. My kids and I go nuts over those.

I hope you win Molly!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    You had time, I would twice bake the taters.

Mike
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    I would TRex the steak,,,,make sure is at least 1 1/2" .....scallop the potatoes with ham & cream I wouldn't deep fry anything....better still...first find out what he/she likes and adjust accordingly.. :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    Hi all,
    I'm home now and the steaks are about an inch thick. How bout beef satays coated with raisin the steak rub and, out of sauces, rubs and marinades book, the hellish relish. Grilled?
    Potatoes, waffle cut toss in oil and raging river (?) and bake on a sheet pan.
    Veggie, I think is asparagus. Grilled and topped with a catalan vinaigrette or a sundried tomato puree, both from the same book.
    Presentation
    Pile of taters topped satay semi cross asparagus propped on back side of pile? HELP
    Molly
    ps we have an hour
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    ok how about planked taters? Do they have to be mashed?
    Also soak the plank? How long. I think that would be a wow factor
    Thanx sooo much
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    There was a guy on The Next Foodnetwork Star last night that cut the potaoes pretty thick, then wrapped them in bacon with a sauce. Bobby Flay said they were so good they would be on his menu next week. If interested, let me know. I think we Tivo'd it but I'm not sure.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    You cant go wrong with the planked taters..and I would not change the recipe as I have seen some do...use the one sweet tater in there..it gives the taters a unique color and flavor and presents real well on the plank...and yes..they should be mashed..but thing is..you can boil them in advance several hours before you mash and plank them...use this recipe..it's killer...
    Planked Mashed/Sweet Potatoes

INGREDIENTS:
    1 large sweet potato
    4 large potatoes
    2 Tbs (30 ml) butter
    1 Tbs (15 ml) melted butter
    1/2 cup (125 ml) 10% cream
    1/4 cup (50 ml) sour cream
    1/4 cup (50 ml) Parmesan cheese divided
    2 cloves roasted garlic - peeled and chopped
    1 Tbs (15 ml) chopped green onions
    1 Tbs (15 ml) chopped parsley
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    pinch of paprika
    1 Cedar Grilling Plank

Directions:
    1 In a large saucepan boil potatoes and sweet potatoes until cooked approximately 20 minutes
    2 Mash potatoes, sweet potatoes and chopped roasted garlic together with cream, sour cream, butter and ½ the Parmesan cheese
    3 Arrange mashed mixture on buttered plank
    4 Cook on indirect heat at 350°F (175°C) for approximately 30 minutes
    5 Remove from barbeque
    6 Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
    7 Top with melted butter, remaining Parmesan cheese, parsley, green onions and pinch of paprika
    8 Serve on plank
    0201008002.jpg
  • Dawgtired
    Also, I have a recipe that is OFF THE HOOK for a different throw on potatoes. I guarantee no one else will have anything like it. It sounds fancy but it's easy and fast. It's Stove-Top Dauphinoise with pancetta and rocket. Let me know if you are interested in this.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• cookn biker
    Yes I'm very interested!
    Thank you, Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Dawgtired
    Which one or both?

Ronald Reagan

• cookn biker
    Both, please.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Thanks so much!
    Wish me luck.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Dawgtired
    Hi, we didn't Tivo the show, sorry. I would hate to try and tell you what the sauce was w/o seeing the show again. Just as well, someone else may do that recipe anyway. Here is the one you want, IMHO. This recipe is for four.

2T EVOO
    2 lg cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
    3.5 oz of pancetta
    2lbs of Russet potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
    3.5 oz of rocket (arugula will do as a substitute)
    1/3 C whole milk
    3/4 + C whole Cream
    2 oz. Parmesan Reggiano

Warm OO in a large frying pan, preferably one with high sides (moderate heat). Then add the garlic and pancetta and cook slowly so that the fat melts in to the oil. Add the potato slices and cook again over moderate heat so they soak up the fat from the pancetta.
    After 15 or so minutes they will have softened. Roughly chop the rocket and add to the pan. First mix the cream and the milk together and then add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and bring slowly to a boil.
    When the liquid in the pan starts to bubble turn down the heat , very low, so you don't burn the cream on the bottom. Cover the pan and let it cook for about ten minutes or so. Sprinkle in the parmesan, stir lightly and continue cooking just until the cheese has melted perhaps a minute or two at the most. Check your seasoning before serving. If you go with this, I would love to hear back from you. GOOD LUCK!!

Ronald Reagan

• cookn biker
    Thank you very much!!
    I'll post tomorrow and let ya know.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Dawgtired
    What veggie are you thinking about? I may have a few ideas there also.

Ronald Reagan

• cookn biker
    I think he wants us to use asparagus. I was going to toss in oil and season, grill, and make a sundried tomatoe, thick, sauce.
    Feedback appreciated.
    Also the taters I will cedar plank but have a question and looking for thoughts. On the kitchen grill, not flat top but with a grill top, should I cover the plank with something to contain the smoke?
    Thanx so much!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Dawgtired
    Again, if you are looking for something unique and something simple that doesn't overpower the flavor of the asparagus, you can steam it in a paper bag in the oven and present it to the table in the torn bag. Interested? If so, coat the bag with oo so it won't catch on fire, heat the oven to 350. Sprinkle the asp. with evoo salt, a good dose of pepper, some lemon zest and a bayleaf. Stick them in the bag and fold the end several times to keep the steam in. Put it on a sheet and coat the bag again with some more oo. Cook for 20 mins on the middle rack...(recipe is for a lb.) Remove bag and sprinle asp. with a little more evoo and check seasonings. You can remove them or let some fall out of the bag on a serving platter if presentation counts. Somtimes simple ways like this don't overpower the vegetable..IMHO

Ronald Reagan

• cookn biker
    You are the bomb!
    Thanks,
    MOlly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I did these just the other day with top sirloin from Sam's. Marinated the cubed beef in soy sauce, olive oil, ginger and garlic, then skewered as you see here:

DSC01111.jpg
    DSC01112.jpg
    DSC01114.jpg
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    For something different, I really like THIS yam recipe. It's not a typical "candied" yam, and goes really well with a steak. It can be adapted easily to cooking in the BGE.

612-braised-yams-with-cream-and-rosemary.png