Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Everything turned out ok

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So,
Many of you chimed in with suggestions and thoughts for cleaning the egg that I got last week.
[Reads]
DSCF2404.jpg
Well, I used a few of your techniques, but ultimately it came down to scraping the stuff off with a razor blade. Very tedious, but it was coming along.
DSCF2433.jpg
After getting it cleaned up, I did a high temp burn off...
DSCF2415.jpg
And you can forget the daisy wheel that was so gunked up it literally felt like someone had welded it shut.
DSCF2431.jpg
This cleaned it right up, after it was all burnt off, applied some cooking oil and it looked brand new.
The final product was delivered after dinner last night to one of the proudest new egg owners. He didn't think it was for him when he saw it come around the house in a truck, he started moving grills out of the way for it, but had no idea it was his. I was unloading it, but my girlfriend said he was almost in tears.
DSCF2436.jpg

All in all, the hard work paid off. After replacing it with a new gasket, I am a little worried about the lid alignment being just slightly off side to side. maybe 3/8 of an inch, but I am afraid any temp fire will catch the over hang of the top lid on fire. Is there a way to correct this alignment?
DSCF2440.jpg

Oh and happy belated Fathers Day to all you Fathers.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    That's a great restoration!

You could loosen the hinge attachment bolts, postion the dome, apply some pressure, and re-tighten the bolts to fix the skew.

Don't worry about the gasket overhang. I've replaced my mediums' gaskets with large gaskets, and there's been no prob. The inner overlap singes away, the outer seems to improve the seal.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Yeah, it took some elbow greese, but it looks great.

I really hope he enjoyed and he knows th labor of love you put into it!!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Barrett,it looks like it came out pretty good.Now you can come and clean my medium :woohoo: :laugh: :silly: Just kidding,you can clean the small also :lol: I'll but the beer,but you have to bring that torch back :woohoo: :woohoo: Hope you had a great Fathers Day. ;) I know that your hard work has paid off :)
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Doug,
    I will be up in a few with my "Official Egg Cleaning Kit" as soon as I get it pulled together from all across my garage floor. :laugh: Funny funny, I will try and show you a few things next time I am up your way. :lol: Thanks though, everything did work out alright. I couldn't get those darn screws out of the handle that was already on the egg to replace it with the one you gave me. I had sanded and stained it and everything. :huh: Anyways, I will try and get that to you next time we meet, thanks anyway.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks smokey, it was intense. I am sure he will cook me a few good meals on it and make it up to me. He is a heck of a cook anyways and an egg is just going to put him over the top. He is planning on attending eggtober fest so maybe some of you will get to see him around.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Great work Barrett!
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks gdenby,
    I will try and play with the bolts next time I go up there and see if I can't get it realigned a bit.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Don't worry about the handle Barrett.As you know,I have a few laying around.I had to cut the handle off my medium.Try a hacksaw,it worked for me ;) You gotta give it to him after all that work :woohoo:
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Appreciate it Ron, I may have signed myself up as the go to guy for horrifying eggs by posting the pics. I got a lot of it cleaned up, but it wasn't perfect. I had to draw the line somewhere and go to sleep on Saturday night.
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    know you worked really hard on it. Great meeting you on Saturday. I look forward to seeing you again soon. Still working on some dates to host in July.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Great job Barrett. I am sure he apprecaites it and I KNOW he will enjoy it. Enjoyed getting to meet you Saturday.
    Tom
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Looks great- I know you are proud.

Walt
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    It was nice meeting both you(Tom) and Ted on Saturday. Thanks for the compliments, maybe he will be present at one of our gatherings.