Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

charcoal question

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone. My wife ordered 200 lbs. of what was supposed to be Royal Oak from a local hardware store. It was invoiced as Royal Oak but the bags have a guy and his dog with some rodent looking thing on a spit. It says made in Argentina and mfgd. for BBQ wood flavors from Ennis, TX. I sent the Whiz an e mail but I thought some of you may know about this lump also. I assume it's not Royal Oak but in addition to that, is it any good?

Thanks!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Hmmmmm... Sounds like what you got was misrepresented. Many here have had problems with imported lump and will only buy what's labeled "Made In The USA". My feeling is that you have a good case for a full refund.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yeah. keep in mind that "charcoal is charcoal" to about, oh 99% of folks. hahaha we are the 1% to whom it matters

"invoiced as RO" might be no big deal to the people that sold it, but i imagine it means something to many of us.

i wouldn't go in kicking and screaming, but just make the point with a smile. it might be that they'd be happy to take a little off and let you keep it rather than mess with taking it back.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    bag48s.jpg

Was it this? I knew you State guys weren't too bright. :laugh: I have a review of it on my Lump Charcoal Database and I gave it a "Below Average" rating. It ain't Royal Oak and it ain't very good in my opinion.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    It does look like a rodent.....LOL.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Man O' Man, not State...Duke

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    That's even worse, LMAO!! Anyway, I would return it if you can and see if you can find something better.

BTW, a couple of weeks ago, the Wal*Mart off of Falls of Neuse (behind the Red Lobster) had about 10 bags of Royal Oak.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    I guessed you would say that!!! Here is the link to the company she ordered it from. They shipped it to Briggs to avoid shipping charges.

http://doitbest.com/4294967105-Charcoal+and+Lighting+Items.dib

Ronald Reagan

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yep, looks like you have been had! I suppose it is POSSIBLE that Royal Oak bags this stuff under that lable. After all, RO does have an Argentinian blend. But that's pure speculation. No one in their right mind would expect to get that if they thought they were ordering Royal Oak.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    do a test burn and see how you like it before you stress about returning it. you never know you might like it and from what i hear lump is tough to get in some parts of the country.