Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!! Pizza tonight! 1st time

Options
Hitch
Hitch Posts: 402
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my egg for a couple of months and really havn't screwed up anything yet. I think I am a professional when it comes to ribs. 8 lb turkey breast is as crazy as I have gotten and it turned out well. I had to buy like $100 worth of the coolest accessories in the world to make it right and I imagine that I need to run to the Egg store today for pizza stuff. I want to cook a couple of them. I have all the pizza making stuff, but feel free to give me suggestions on that.

For the grill, I have a LGE. I have a Large Plate Setter and a good stone ( I think...all these forums are full of cracked stones). Planning on cooking the pizza around 400-450, and making it more thin than thick.

DO I HAVE TO HAVE A PIZZA PEEL? Will it work to just put the stone on the plate setter?

Thanks in advance,

Hitch

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Its a good idea to have some air space between the plate setter and the stone, I set the plate setter legs up, main grid on the legs, and the stone on the grid. If you don't have a peel, a cookie sheet without sides works. -RP
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Another option is to put the plate setter legs down, and use the little green ceramic feet that came with the egg to create the separation between the plate setter and the stone. I did this last night for a bread, which came out great.

The cookie sheet is a good idea. If you don't have that either, a piece of stiff cardboard (like a Pizza Box) would also work.

-John
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I do mine platesetter legs up, grid, grid extender and then the stone (gets it up really high in the dome). I don't have a peel but I do use a cookie sheet without sides and a lot (I mean a lot!) of cornmeal to act almost like ball bearings to get the dough moving off the sheet. Parchment also works but I personally haven't tried it. 450-500 and you should have a great pie in about 8-10 minutes. You can leave the daisy off and look down on your progress. Good luck!
  • AZRP
    Options
    I do the same setup as you as long as the pizza is 14" or smaller. Lately I have been using a 16" Air Bake pan and it will choke off too much airflow on the extended grid. -RP
  • Hitch
    Options
    So, you guys like the plate setter underneath the grill grid, then the pizza stone?

Thanks for all comments...
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I use only the plate setter legs down with stone on top, however I do use parchment paper between teh pizza stone and the crust. If you don't have parchment paper members recommend cornmeal so the crust won't stick
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    I haven't made a pie yet, but plan on it soon. I have made a few in the overn. All had me wanting to throw the dough into the woods. I ended up with a calzone when I couldn't get the pizza off of the wood peel that I had. We lubed it up with flour. My Mom told me to try cornmeal. I think I added it a bit to early becuse as I was trying to roll it out I ended up with a cornmeal pizza. Once I get the trick of the transfer life will be much easier. I have hear it helps to cook the pizza without toppings for 5 minutes but I think it would be like a blast furnace trying to put on the toppings at 500 degrees. Any help with the roll out of the dough and transfer to the stone would be gr8. :sick:
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    First, if you are making pizza with dough rather than frozen, you probably should be cooking at 600 for about 8 minutes.

Also, you do not need a pizza peel. Personally, I use parchment paper. If you do not use parchment paper, make sure that you have a plan to move the pizza onto the EGG. It is definitely not easy.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    That is exactly how I do it and everything somes out fine.

However, I cook mine at between 550 and 600.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I would try parchment paper. I have tried corn meal and it does not work well for me.

Parchment paper is quite easy. Just make sure that you do not have much overhand around the pie, as it will catch on fire.

Greg
  • Hitch
    Options
    Getting some parchment paper...

So, The set up is:

LG plate setter, then grill, then pizza stone, then parchment paper just a bit bigger than pizza. Any need for anything between pizza and paper?

Making 4 pizzas as the wife keeps inviting people over. NO PRESSURE, ITS MY FIRST FREAKIN TIME AT PIZZA!!!

Using a flat cookie sheet to transfer pizzas on and off of Egg. Any tips on the transfer, or will it be easy enuf? The stone will be above the lip of the egg.

Thanks for all your help!

Hitch
  • AZRP
    Options
    Roll your dough out right on the parchment paper then trim the excess paper, you won't need anything else for the transfer. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    I've been having better luck in the 450-550 range. -RP
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Using the Ceramic feet that came with your egg does help circulate the air, but in my opinion more importantly, raises the stone higher by just enough distance to make it easier to get the pizza in and out.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have the best luck cooking at 400 dome temp for 30 minutes.
    Crust just right and nice browning on top. I have tried hotter and shorter but believe the 400 gives me the best results.