Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kind of dutch-oven is best for large egg?

Carnivor T
Carnivor T Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My daughter bought me today a lodge cast iron wok. Fits nice but will retrurn to either get a dutch-oven or paella plate. Does anyone know if a Creuset type dutch-oven is better than a straight cast-iron.

Thank You JF

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Celtic wolf would be best suited to answer this question. He should reply when he gets back from the contest he was cooking in this weekend.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    I use a 7qt, and a 9qt.

Both fit, I use 7 qt most of the time.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Cast iron with heavy lid -- whatever fits.

I have used Le Crueset, but the handles are good to only 400F.

I wouldn't want to take a chance on the Egg approaching nuclear with a Crueset, when any old hunk-a iron will do.

BTW -- No knead bread works great in a dutch oven... get the metal to 450F before tossing the dough in -- and it won't stick.

~ B
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    JF,
    I like my 9qt Dutch Oven I use it for everything
    DSCN1856.jpg
    Oxtail Stew
    DSCN2459.jpg
    Beans
    DSCN3123.jpg
    Green Chili Stew
    My Best,
    Ross
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I like the enameled cast iron pots myself. I've got two. One I bought at Target and the other is a Tramaneta brand pot I bought at Walmart.

Lodge also makes enameled cast iron pots.

All three options are way cheaper than Le Crueset.

H
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    I like both. I use the Le Cresuit for breads as it heats a little more even to me all though I have done No knead in regular cast and worked fine. For stews and gumbo's I like the old fasion cast iron.
    NEW08004-2.jpg

NEW08057.jpg

NEW08111.jpg

Handle my partner made for the LeCresuit that want melt nuclear! ;)
    LastwkFEB08027.jpg

cemimmon roll
    LastwkFEB08098.jpg
    LastwkFEB08101.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I use some of my Le crusiet on my eggs but tend to like the good old cast iron better mostly for the clean up part. Smoke stains on the outside are a bugger to get of a white pan :evil: I have a nice assortment now from 6 inch frying pans up to large dutch ovens and they all get a good work out. I collect the vintage L.C. and try to stick to the brown. LOL
  • I have both an also a stainless one however I prefer to use the Lodge because it doe not show the smoke
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    ....or as smitty
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Why use a dutch oven for bread? The egg with a pizza stone is just like a wood fired oven :)

436-baguette-no-knead-larger-loaf.png

Recipe and step by step pictures here
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Cast iron is cast iron, and most versions will cook the same. That said, I avoid enameled ones as the smoke tends to leave deposits where it's hard to get off. Plain old CI seems to look better after a good smokin' . I use an old Griswold (gives me an excuse for something else to collect).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I have and have used both, I can't tast the difference from cooking on one to the other.

The ceramic seems to clean easier but the smoke on the outside seems to show up more, and stays in the hard to clean places.

I purchased the Tramaneta from walmart. Great price and cooks very well. For $30 I really don't care if it gets spotlessly clean.

As for CI I like the oven's with the bail and I grind off the stand up legs.

A dutch oven, and the spider are a great combination for the egg. The food is fantastic.

Life doesn't get much better. Here some pictures for your enjoyment.

GG

eggcioppinob.jpg
    eggcioppinoa.jpg
    doroast4.jpg
    doroast5.jpg
    doroast7.jpg
    chili1.jpg
  • Carnivor T
    Carnivor T Posts: 53
    Thank You for all your inputs. You are truly a family.
    I will start with a Cast iron dutch oven for a start. Will eventualy try an enamel and eventualy a paella plate. Without this forum I would have burned my paella in a CI Wok. Again Thank you !

Love your pictures !!!

JF
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I know the thread is about cooking vessels, but those pictures of the seafood stew(?) are really doing a number on me. They look great!
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Cioppino Soup.

Great cooked inside or in the egg.

This version is very simple and great tasting.

Enjoy.

Cioppino:
    1 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 large green pepper, diced
    1/3 cup parsley, chopped
    ¼ cup olive oil

In a soup pot, sauté the vegetables in the oil until soft

1 8-oz. Can tomato sauce
    3 14-½ oz. Can cut and peeled tomatoes
    1 cup water
    10oz. Tomato juice
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. Dried basil
    ½ tsp. Dried oregano
    1 tsp Parsley

Add to the pot. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. If not served immediately, cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

12 clams, well scrubbed (24 is better)
    1 lb. Medium shrimp – (2 pounds is better), shelled and cleaned (I use cooked and cleaned)
    1 large Dungeness crab, cleaned and broken into pieces
    1 pound of imitation crab (works great – use 2 if you don’t want to use the whole crab)

bring soup back to a simmer. Add seafood and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until clams open and shrimp turn pink. (If using cooked shrimp – wait until clams begin to open than add shrimp).

Notes:
    If using imitation crab get some legs for looks & added flavor in the stock
    Feel free to vary the seafood to what is in season.

Grandpas Grub
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I just found this yesterday and got free shipping. I don't if know free shipping still applies.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_103732_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1