Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs Mini

Options
Science Guy
Science Guy Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a problem that probably won't get lots of sympathy. I asked for a Mini for my birthday and got a small instead. I thought the Mini would be better for picnics and camping. I have a Subaru Outback that does not have lots of room after dog, child and camping gear are loaded. Does anyone have any experience transporting the Small? I can not keep the Small and get a Mini also. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    EggsCamp.jpg
    <p />Science Guy,
    Keep the small! The mini is cute, but is a mere toy when it comes to camp cooking. A good camping combo is a large and small. The large is transportable. The small is a cakewalk.[p]Bring some beer!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    A fantastic picture......but why would you want to go camping in such COLD weather? I think that I would have the Egg iside the tent with me!!!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Gloria,
    Thanks.
    Why do I do it?? No bugs. No people. Beautiful. Nothing like a cold night with a full bright moon. In the snow, it looks almost like daytime! And they have clothing/tents/sleeping bags that are made to keep you warm in the cold weather. :-) [p]Not only were we comfy, we ate like kings!! I'd pay anything for that weather right now. [p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Science Guy,
    I really like my mini, but I also have a large. To be sure, the Mini is more portable than the small, but you can do a lot more on a small than a mini. Unless you already have a medium or large, I think you will find that you will get a lot more use out of the small, which has double the cooking area, than you would the mini. And I bet you will find a way to take the small camping!

• Science Guy
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]Actually I do have a large that gets used at least 3X/week. So the smaller Egg would be primarily for travel. I have to admit that the Mini looked pretty small and I know others that contribute to this forum have doubled space on the Mini by adding an extra grid w/ risers. However, I would like to be able to use whatever I end up with to cook for at lest 4 people and maybe more.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Science Guy,
    The small should fit nicely in the back of your outback. Are there ring hooks to tie straps onto?? I strap mine in, and pack my gear around it.[p]Feeding four people would be a challenge with the mini. You will probably have the small loaded up...but there is a LOT more cooking space than the mini.[p]You might be able to get the mini on your sea kayak though!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Science Guy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have had a BIG cooler full of beer in the center hatch of a big double but even the Mini would be a stretch in the boats we have now. When you transport do you wrap w/ blankets to protect or just strap and go?

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Oh God, so would I...man, I wanna go camping!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Science Guy,
    I fit mine in a 22 gallon rubbermaid storage container. Nice flat bottom to keep it from tipping easily,and outside handles to help you carry it. Can't put the lid on but is not necessary. Of course if you can strap it in for safety it can't hurt. (the back of someones head anyway in an accident.
    JP[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    science guy,
    I strap, check, and go. I usuakky out a towel or blanket between the wall of the car and the egg to prevent gouging. Once you do it once, it will become even easier![p]Have fun!
    Chris[p]PS. Are those steroid-popping baseball players gonna strike?? My Orioles are spiralling downward. Even though we DID beat your Mariners!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You sure know how to make me pine for the winter. I can smell the brisket from here. Winter camping is the best.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    NB:[p]As a Capitalist, make as much money as you can . . . Having said that, don't kill the goose that is laying your golden egg! That last strike nearly killed Montreal.[p]There are still folks in Atlanta that refuse to go to Braves games because of the last strike. We remember the last strike and although we go to Braves games frequently, we NEVER purchase tickets and BRING our own food. I have been known to purchase that pricey beer, but sometimes I pack gin in with the cranberry juice! When we loose access to those tickets behind home plate we will keep up with the Braves via radio and television. If there is a strike we will find something else to do for future sports entertainment.[p]August 16, is supposedly the date. Will this Friday be my last game of the season?
  • Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    smallegg.jpg
    <p />Science Guy,
    I bought my small just for camping. Its worked out great. Its a tradition to cook up some Baby backs in the woods everytime we go out.

• Unknown
    Options
    Science Guy, Sell the Outback or get a trailler. :)[p]Best of luck!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Gloria, I know you might want to take that little fellow to bed with you, but don't do it. The carbon dioxide he gives off would be deadly in a closed area.

• Steve-O
    Options
    Science Guy,
    I've thought it over and decided that, if you really want a mini, I will make the sacrifice and trade you my new mini for your new small. Let me know if you want to trade!!

• Gator1
    Gator1 Posts: 37
    Options
    Science Guy,
    The deciding factor with us was weight. The small weighs over 30 pounds more than the mini. This wouldn't be a problem for me (just inconvenient), but my wife is just as hooked as I am and wanted to be able to move it around while camping. We love the mini!
    Jim

• Gator1
    Gator1 Posts: 37
    Options
    Nature Boy and Science Guy,
    It would seem that this would be an excellent opportunity to justify expanding your boat collection (see my post under "How many BGEs.."). I can fit the big cooler of beers and the mini BGE in my 14' canoe!
    Jim

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Science Guy,
    I transport my small inside the car.
    I put it on a towel on the seat and put the lap/shoulder belt around it.
    Works great, never had any trouble doing it this way.
    B D

• Science Guy
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]Thanks for the generous offer. I am still trying to decide what to do here but I am leaning toward keeping the Small. It is just a little awkward to move around solo.
  • Science Guy
    Options
    jerry p,
    How easy is it do get it in and out of that can? I am worried about not having a good handle to grab.[p]

• Steve-O
    Options
    Science Guy,
    I don't think you will be sorry for keeping the small. And after a year or so, if you still feel like you want a mini, save your money and buy one.

• Science Guy,
    Being rectangle container, I grab down the open corner and get my hand under the base of the egg and lift out, bracing the opposite side with my other hand. Hasn't been a problem.
    JP