Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Almonds - recommendations?

Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seem to recall that this has been discussed at one time or another - but does anyone have any good recipes or procedures for smoking almonds (or other nuts) on the Egg. I do have a couple of recipes from the VirtualWeberBullet site, but was curious about Egg experiences.
Janet

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Janet,[p]I have smoked almonds several times with good results. I do them on a jerky screen, but any pan (preferably with holes) will work. I do them with an inverted plate setter at 250* for about an hour or so with a lot of smoke. [p]To prepare the nuts (use raw almonds) I mix a little oil and some soy sauce with them and let them sit for an hour or so. The you liberally sprinkle them with whatever seasoning floats your boat at the time. I have used onion and or garlic powder, just some salt and several rubs. I like a spicy rub on them and use Big Bubba's Rubba Chipotle rub (a great rub) the most. Then onto the screen and the egg.[p]Keep a pretty close eye on them. There is a fine line between nicely toasted and burnt. I guess I'll have to do some now, I can taste them with a nice cold beer.[p]Good luck.[p]Chuck <><

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Chuck,[p]Where do you find Big Bubba's Rubba Chipotle Rub?
    I'm a big fan of chipotle but I'd buy it just for the name.
    Thanks, and thanks for the above recipe.[p]WD

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    WooDoggies,[p]I buy it at my BGE dealer, Stoveworks in Medford, NJ. The link is for a place to order it online. Big Bubba has a couple of other good rubs also but this is my favorite (and I hate the Morroccan Mud Rub). [p]Have a great day[p]Chuck <><

[ul][li]Chipotle Rub[/ul]
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Chuck,
    Thanks alot for the recipe - sounds terrific. I just returned from the store with a bunch of raw almonds - good day for a smoke![p]Janet[p]