Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dermatology Update

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Oft-reported, but only recently described, "Green Egg Alopecia" is a disease affecting outdoor cooking aficionados throughout the United States and abroad. The disease knows no age, sex, racial or socioeconomic barriers, and is characterized by the sudden onset of total hair loss, primarily of one or both anterior forearms, hands and wrists. Hair loss affecting the face, primarily beards, mustaches, eyelashes and eyebrows, and the frontal hairline, has also been described, although it is less common. While the disease incidence is inversely proportional to the patient’s “eggsperience,” it can occur with even the most BBQ-savvy patients.[p]Etiology: The etiology is thought to be related to the sudden rush of oxygen-rich air into a hot Egg or similar cooker, which then causes a fiery eruption of sorts, singing the hands, arms and faces of the egg owner/operators. The weakened hairs then fracture at the surface, leaving behind smooth, "post-Nair-esque" skin.[p]Psychologic implications: Hair is important to one’s self image and appearance, and sudden hair loss, especially in the manner described, can be psychologically painful, particularly when witnessed by one’s family or dinner guests. Fortunately for most patients, the loss is temporary, at least until the next absent-minded, high temperature cook.[p]Treatment: No topical creams or ointments have been proven effective in restoring the hair loss. For most, however, the loss is temporary. Unfortunately, loss of eyebrows and eyelashes may not be restored, and loss of the frontal hairline may precipitate a visit to the barber or hair stylist to disguise the ailment. A quick visit to the psychologist or counselor may be helpful for those who are particularly distressed.[p]Prevention: Patients must remember to carefully open the dome of their cookers during high temperature cooks, defined as dome temperatures exceeding 450 to 500 degrees. Sudden opening of the dome results in flare-ups and Green Egg Alopecia.

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    bdavidson,
    If I could just figger out how to run my Egg while standing with my back to it, maybe the lifegaurd would stop yelling: "HEY! YOU WITH THE SWEATER.....GET OUT OF THE POOL!!!"

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]So you got fireballed in front of the guests, eh?
    Any pictures for show and tell?[p]:~),
    WD

• bdavidson
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    It wasn't pretty. Even the eyelashes this time....
    I'm hoping they'll grow back before the New Holland fest.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]It might be toupee and mascara time.
    I promise I won't laugh at you when I see you in New Holland. :~)[p]Good to know it was only your pride that got hurt.[p]WD
    So, no photos then?

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Funny, I had always heard it called incendopecia. As to prevention, slowly opening the dome isn't enough. I guess I have to fess up.... I usually take the top vent off the egg for 45 seconds and then slowly open the dome. Well, I forgot the 45 seconds bit, so I decided to experiment. I took off the vent cap for about 5 seconds and slowwwwwly opened the dome. WHOOOOMP! No more hand hair. So, seriously, you need to get some air into the Egg either by removing the top cap and waiting a fair amount of time, or by opening both top and bottom for 10 seconds and then slowly opening the dome.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Page on Flashbacks[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • bdavidson
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    No photos...sorry. I was too embarrassed.
    I am planning to run over to Holiday Hair to try and repair the damage. You won't even notice next month!
    bd

• bdavidson
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    The top was already open, believe it or not! I was doing steaks and wanted a high temp egg. I just neglected to crack the dome open before I opened it all the way. And the rest, as is my hair, is history.[p]

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Having experienced this excruciating embarrassment and lived to tell about it, I would like to add my three cents (inflation) worth. [p]I agree with your assessment of the events that led to the fire-induced dance and the resulting verbal proclamations that followed. I think it is safe to say that we all appreciate your candor in sharing such important information with the readers.[p]If I could add to your well-informed account of "Green Egg Alopecia" I would only address some of the contributing causes of the phenomenon. Such as: 1. too much beer intake by the victim; 2. momentary lapse of good judgment; 3; exuberance brought on by anticipation; 4. watching sports while attempting to cook; 5. head up butt; 6. senility. My particular situation involved numbers 1. and 3. [p]I feel certain others can add their own contributing factors and urge them to do so in order to alert Eggheads to be on the lookout for future outbreaks of this unfortunate disease.[p]Thank you.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• The Colonel
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Been there done that--got my t-shirt----no hair on my upper body or arms but got my t-shirt.
    yours in the egg--the colonel

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    fl2.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    In my case, it was definitely number 3. The only big time flashback I ever had (you know, atomic scale...) was on my first cook and damn, I wanted to open her up and see the steaks! I saw them for about 0.35 seconds and then WHOOOOOOMP! SLAAAMMM! "Oh dear!" "Oh sh*t". The WHOOOMP was the flashback. The SLAAAAM was the lid dropping shut. The "oh dear" was looking sheepishly at my wife having screwed up so big time. The "oh sh*t" was discovering the gasket had glued the lid shut. As always, feel free to visit my website for a sobering look at the phenomenon...

[ul][li]Flashback!![/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Yes, thank-you for the including these selected comorbid conditions. In my eggsperience, among those that you list, #3 would rank highest, with the others to a lesser degree.
    :-)

• bdavidson
    Options
    The Colonel,
    Hey! How've you been, sir. Good to see you again.
    Are you planning a trip to Eggtoberfest this year?

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I hate to say this but I found your story to be funny and entertaining as I visualized each sequence of the incident. Some learning experiences only need to be experienced once. Yours was probably one of those one-time-is-enough learning experiences.[p]Spring Chicken

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Well, let's just say that since then, I haven't had a flashback that I wasn't prepared for..... :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Thanks Brad!!! thats exactly what I was thinkin':-) Bob

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Spring Chicken,

I was reading your follow up....[p]It's for sure that being drunk...hungry... and excited,[p] have been the denmise of many a man!!![p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!