Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What compliments a lg egg best?

Options
wyzeguy
wyzeguy Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been having a lg BGE for about 5 years. Now I'm looking for a smaller one to do smaller cooks on. Any suggestions on which size egg compliments the large the best

Comments

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    How much of the capacity of the Large do you use for your smaller cooks? The Small has roughly half the grate area of the Large and many people here find it a good complement. (We just ordered a Large to complement our Small.)
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I say a medium with a woo 2 , and the matching pan used as a plate setter. My two pennies worth. Maybe a nest and mates. Miles out.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I use my small a bunch. Just enough room and easily transported.

smchefs1.jpg

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Depends on how you cook. I have 2 larges so quanity is not an issue but a small is in the very near future.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    There are two of us and I find I am using the Mini more than either my large or small.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    depends how many you are cooking for and how often you entertain. i cook for 1, 2 or three and i use the mini a lot. surely not as versitile as a small but real easy for a small group.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as Rich. I love that doggone mini.

I have l,m,s,mini. I am going to sell the medium or small, I just can't decide which one.

95% of the time thre is the Mrs & I. Once a month there are 24 of us. 12 adults, 4 young teens and the rest of the hurd are there on down to still not walking.

If I plan my meat the large does well for group. Probably the medium would be best for the once a month groups. With that said I have found I have all eggs goin during the groups Probably just because I can.

For the Mrs. & I the mini and small would be perfect except for Thanksgiving. Last Thanksgiving the large held the fort down.

Kent
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    wyzeguy wrote:
    I have been having a lg BGE for about 5 years. Now I'm looking for a smaller one to do smaller cooks on. Any suggestions on which size egg compliments the large the best

They all go well with a large egg!!!
    p1010035.jpg

And just added Grillzilla (my new XL)!
    P1010018.jpg