Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs not tender - Ducane does better chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

OK !!! There are a few of you that are not going to like this but here goes: I have cooked ribs three times now on my egg. The last time I followed the 3/1.5/1 procedure and while the flavour was great the ribs are chewy. That's it for ribs on my egg (long-term) - from now on I steam them first and then finish them on the egg or the ducane. Now for the chicken - I have cooked (spatchcock) three times (as per the recipe) and find that the birds are flavorful yet somewhat dry. Not really juicy. In fact, now get this, my Ducane (rotis) does a better job. Steaks done on the egg are great - pork loin roast is excellent - chicken wings just fine - etc etc. But the ribs and chicken just don't do it for me. Oh well!!! To seek out profection in one's life might be asking a bit much. Cheers !!!! Bully.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Bully,
    Having cooked 23 birds on my egg, and every one as juicy as can be, I have to think that either you are buying bad birds (not likely) or you are doing something different. Perhaps you could detail what you do when you cook a chicken and us keen observers can detect some flaw. Or not...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bully:[p]Regarding your ribs, what temperature are you cooking at and for how long?[p]As for the Ducane, I do not miss mine one bit. Interestingly, the guy that acquired my old Ducane prefers chicken grilled on my ceramic cookers!
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Bully, you'r ejust going to hav eto get down to Atlanta for the EGGtoberfest. There we ought to be able to get to the bottom of this. Personally, I have found ribs to be sort of a delicate thing on the egg. They are OK but they are not as moist as I would like. I know I'm doing something wrong but have no idea as to what. I'm going to take better notes this year at EGGtoberfest. Hopefully, will see you there.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Wise One:[p]That is a startling admission . . . You may have to drive from the city to The Spam Side and discuss your technique over a Bud or three one afternoon after the sketers head south. Naturally, we will have to do some rib experimentation too![p]It is all about low temperatures and time . . .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bully,
    My guess is you like ribs falling off the bone (as you would get by boiling or steaming, a mushier texture). If you are doing spares more time may be needed.
    Chicken if it is dry then it is being over cooked, pull when the thigh reaches 180º internal and you should still have moist product.
    Jim

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Bully,[p]Tough ribs are a sign of not cooking long enough. Pretty simple. What temp and WHERE you measure it are critical factors, as even a 25º variance will make a difference.[p]Every cooker will act differently based on YOUR location and many outside variables. I take 6 hours at 225º measured at the grate to make BB ribs(including 2 1/2 in foil), but I do a few things different than others. Many will tell you that 6 hours is much too long.....but, after 20 years, I don't think so....at least not in the way I do them.[p]Give it more time. To say you are giving up after just 3 attempts is silly. Took me many years to learn this smoking thing. It is an ART, it is not baking or engineering. Art takes time to perfect. [p]I suggest you take that time and take some notes and figure out what you are doing wrong.[p]Stogie
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Bully,
    We also like ribs with only a little resistance and we do cook long and slow on them. A piece of aluminum foil crease down the middle and laid on top of the ribs will preserve the juiciness. I learned this when I cooked my first turkey.........right after we disembarked from the Mayflower!

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, thanks for the comment. I am using the recipe that you were kind enough to publish on your site (more recent update) and I am cooking for 60 minutes. Now I am not using a tempature probe and am assuming that it is neither over-done or under-cooked (no red juice). I elevate the grill (as per instructions - although I have tried it both ways). Understand I am not a defeatist. If there is something that I am doing wrong I will gladly revisit the formula. Please unerstand - I like the egg - Given the experience I just happen to prefer chicken done on the ducane. It's really not all that bad. Thanks for the comment in any event. I really do appreciate the input. Bully
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wise One, Thanks for the suggestion. Afraid I can't make it down to Atlanta but would be very interested in any tips that you might pick up. Have agood trip. Bully

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Bully,
    Gee... I would check the calibration on your dome thermometer. The spatchcock is almost too juicy each time I do it.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Bully,
    I just can't imagine a "dry" spatchcock chicken, is all. Are you sure they are chickens? :-) Oh well, carry on soldier![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Bully, Sorry to hear of your bad rib experiences, never had one on the egg myself, but I'm sure that it could possibly happen. [p]Before the egg, we used to make ribs in the oven - in a broiling pan, a little water and covered with foil at about 250 for 2.5 hours - finished on the gas grill. [p]I just can't imagine what boiled baby backs would taste like - doesn't even sound good - I think before I did that I merely get the McRib sandwich at McDonalds - maybe at least as much flavor? [p]Just my thoughts :~{

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, i love the spatched chicken i must say we have had at least 10 all were so tender in moist that we dont eat chicken any other way i would think that the thermometer is off by a long ways
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Bully,
    Out of curiosity--the chicken that you like better on the Ducane--is it spatchcocked chicken as well? If not, maybe you should use whatever chicken cooking method you use for the Ducane and just tweak it for the egg. Perhaps then you'll get the results you're looking for.
    --Aron

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Bully,
    Sorry, but; Dry Chicken = Overcooked Chicken, no matter how you slice, spatchcock, or rotis it. You could probably cook for my wife though, she just can't seem to get it into her head that the juices are just supposed to run clear. She has the line of thinking that any juice in a chicken is bad. I often accuse her of being the head puck maker for the NHL.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    djm5x9, sounds good. How many beers will they take to cook???

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Bully,Ducanes are good for rotisserie ONLY,they don`t get hot, my local dealer is dropping them., all the people that bought them dislike the fact that they won`t heat up, almost as bad a Holland grill......they are a good bbq but are limited in there usage, but the Ducane is a good rotisserie grill for sure.
    [/b]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Bully,[p]It may be that you just like chicken better the way you've been doing it all this time on the Ducane. Go with what works for you.... there certainly aint nothing wrong with that.
    However, don't give up on butterflied chicken cooked on the egg... it does sound like you might be overcooking it. The finished product should literally squirt juice when cut.[p]Good advice below about ribs.... can't say enough about low temps and longer cooks. Yesterday cooked the fat end 1/2 of a slab of untrimmed spares. Thick and meaty. Went over 6 hours with Dizzy Dust and pecan chips at 225 and they turned out fantastico.[p]Keep plugging away. And with the help of this forum, you will get to the bottom of this. :~)[p]WD

• Unknown
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]I agree - I'd been eggin' for a long time, having only so-so luck until I decided to check my thermometer. Good thing too - it was off by over 100 degrees! Once I recalibrated, all has been well, including recently smoking up three full slabs of baby backs. Those ribs turned out tender, falling off the bone and delicious - better than any place around me (Chicago area) that sells ribs.[p]Just my two cents though...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Aron, using the rotis on the ducane.

• Unknown
    Options
    Fred Johnson, thanks for the input. Appreciated. Bully