Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

parchment paper

low tech rednecklow tech redneck Posts: 78
edited 2:47PM in EggHead Forum
I decided to try some no knead bread so I went to my favorite grocery store to buy some parchment paper and yeast.I was told that parchment paper was a seasonal item.I'm not real sure the person I asked knew what I was talking about but I do know that I don't know anything about it,so my question is:where do you buy parchment paper?What department is it in?
Thank You for any help.

• kolbdriverkolbdriver Posts: 400
    It is right with the WAX paper in my stores.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,970
    Usually near the wax paper in a grocery store. Most gourmet cookware stores carry it..
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Most grocery stores have it by the foil and plastic wrap. Also I have seen it where the kitchen gadgets hang. I don't think the person you asked had a clue as to what it is, nothing seasonal about it. -RP
  • Egg-N-TinoEgg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Seasonal.? Parchment.?

Did you tell the employee that you were looking for Green and Red wrapping paper.? :laugh:

The stores on the West coast stock parchment year round. Let me know where your at and I can send you some. :woohoo: (now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are)

I would check around the area at different locations.
  • Big Easy EggBig Easy Egg Posts: 191
    The rare and endangered Parchment tree is only harvested on the 30th day of February.
  • Well I've been to Stater Bros.,Ralph's ,Trader Joes and Albertsons,none of them have it.I'm in the closest most of these people have been to baking is the bagel shelf at Starbucks.We're going to San Diego this weekend and maybe I can find it there.
    Would corn meal possibly be an alternative?
    Thanks for all the replies,youve confirmed my suspicions.
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I wouldn't think TJ's would have it, but Albertson's does here in AZ. -RP
  • genewgenew Posts: 40
    do you have a williams sonoma store close?? if none of your locals have it order it online from King Arthur Flour.
  • CaptGrumpyCaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    The answer is yes! Corn meal is the preferred alternative and is the method i was raised with when I had my first job at age 16 in a pizza parlour.
    I prefer the parchment paper because it has less mess to deal with.
  • murphy11murphy11 Posts: 23
    it's the same thing as wax paper isn't it?
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,171
    No. Parchment paper is for baking and is infused with silicone and is somewhat flame retardant (it will burn, but not easily). Wax paper coating will melt at baking temps and smoke profusely.
  • murphy11murphy11 Posts: 23
    thanks fidel. found parchment paper tonight right next to wax paper which I will use tomorrow night for pizza.
  • Well this A.M. I had to go to Wal Mart for something else and checked while there and sure as the world they had miles of it so problem solved. Thanks for all your responses.