Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

edited 10:01AM in EggHead Forum
:S does anyone out there have a recipe and/or suggested metho for cooking a moose roast?

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,577
    What cut? You should probably lard it and go high heat. Not much fat in most cuts

Caledon, ON

• PdubPdub Posts: 234
    I would marinate it and rap it in bacon. Then treat it like a normal roast, 350 on a raised grid.
    I imagine you could also cook it like a pot roast, with some fluid and some veggies. Good luck, Paine
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218

check out elk caribou venison and bison recipes i suspect they are all very lean meats as is moose. hope this gets you started . don't dry it out!
    good luck
  • Grill-GalGrill-Gal Posts: 17
    we have it stewed, as it is very lean and tender. You can use a dutch oven.

Moose Stew 2
    - 2 1/2 lb moose meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
    - 2 tb shortening
    - 1/4 ts cracked black pepper
    - 1/2 ts Paprika
    - 1 bay leaf
    - 1 ts salt
    - 2 cn condensed beef broth (10-1/2 ounces each)
    - 1 c dry red wine
    - 1 lg onion; diced
    - 3 carrots; sliced
    - 6 whole white onions
    - 12 sm new potatoes; peeled
    - 2 tb butter
    - 2 tb flour
    Saute meat cubes in shortening until brown on all sides. Add pepper, paprika, bay leaf, salt, beef broth, red wine, onion, and carrots. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add whole onions and potatoes; cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are barely tender. Mix butter and flour into a paste. Drop into simmering stew. Cook, stirring, until stew bubbles and thickens. Serve with rice or polenta.
  • mikeb6109mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    cook it like any other roast!! yes it is lean but all you need to do is watch for doneness!! ( key to not getting moose dry!) i cook mine no more then a good medium! trust me it should be good! i cook it all the time and have yet to add lard or fat or bacon and it is always yummy and juicy! good luck !
  • CaptGrumpyCaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    My daughter's nickname is Moose and right now she is in shock!!! :lol: