Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs Challenge

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been talking smack about ribs off the egg. A neighbor handed me a pack of country style ribs and told me to prove it. I have never had much success cooking this type of rib. Any suggestions? Rubs, Sauces, Time, Temp, Indirect????
The pressure is on.....

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Wardster,
    Of course, there is the approach where you throw the country ribs back in his face, saying "I speeeeet on your country ribs. Your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elderberries!"[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_13_0017_50_05_small.jpg
    <p />Wardster, I make them occasionally, but remember... they really aren't ribs. Check out the link for time and temps.

[ul][li]Country Style Ribs[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Wardster,
    GFW's got it right: they're actually sliced shoulder. I slather mine in mustard, rub with any good rub, and cook them indirect to an internal temp of 160º. Mighty tasty, even though they aren't ribs.

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Wardster,
    I like to over cook them, much more than 160. I KNOW this is cheatin' but I've liked country styles much more when I do a modified 3/1/1 on them. The time in the foil really helps break down any chewy stuff in them to make them melt in your mouth. I do the rub AND a Q sauce. There's some that say, around here, that if your Q is good, you don't need any sauce. I say poop on that! Any good redneck likes his fixins sticky like two day old roadkill! I do back ribs with rub only and with sauce too, I don't know, there's just something about candied ribs that makes them all the more special.

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I've tried doing them both indirect and direct. I prefered the results with the direct method. I did them 350 degrees for approx. 45 min., flipping them about every 10-15 min. [p]Came out really juicy, a lot like a big pork chop/steak. I did some sauced and some just marinated. Both ways are great. I did marinate overnight in just plain wishbone overnight and I think that helped.[p]Good luck!
    Dan.[p]