Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome vs. grid temp

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dome vs. grid temp, does anybody have an idea how much lower the grid temp is? With posted recipes it seems I have to adjust some. I figure (without fact) there is about a 30-40 deg. diff. so low and slow at 230 dome is 190. Should I be 275 for the low and slow or anything else?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    From what I've learned the longer the cook the closer the temps between dome and grate. Early in the cook seems to be about 25 to 30 diff. but gets closer (if you don't open the lid) after a few hours.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    temps referenced here are usually always dome temps.

i think for moderate cooks and lo-and-slo, the difference is like flapoolman says, 30 degrees to as much as 50. the longer the cook, the closer the temps are (less difference). try 250 dome temp, yields about 225 at the grid. sometimes i go 225 dome, which slows down the cook, gives me a sexier smoke ring too. but eventually i kick it to 250, because at 225 dome, the grate is maybe 190/200, and it would take literally forever to hit 200 in the meat if the grate temp is 190
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    thanks for the advise and appreciate the help :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Sexier smoke ring has nothing to do with it. Just leaves more time for drinking right Stike??
    sorry but my wife busted me on this one. :woohoo: :blush: :( .
  • VInyljunkee
    Options
    Consider investing in the BBQ Guru as I did, and set the grid temp where you want it. You will not regret it and will stop chasing the temperature through continual adjustment. YOu don't even have to be that careful with how you add the wood charcoal. It's unbelievable the way this device regulates the temp at the grid(my recommendation) or the dome.

My personal preference is to have the grid regulated at 225.....the guest needs to get to 195-200 in 18 hours in my world.
  • VInyljunkee
    Options
    Consider investing in the BBQ Guru as I did, and set the grid temp where you want it. You will not regret it and will stop chasing the temperature through continual adjustment. YOu don't even have to be that careful with how you add the wood charcoal. It's unbelievable the way this device regulates the temp at the grid(my recommendation) or the dome.

My personal preference is to have the grid regulated at 225.....the guest needs to get to 195-200 in 18 hours in my world.