Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL vs Large Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried both sizes of egg? The large egg has the classic shape and design. The larger, XL egg has a different shape but more room. Does the XL egg lose any of its unique cooking capabilities? Purchasing soon, and don't want to wish I had gotten a bigger/smaller egg. Thanks

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    every egg has it's following, this question gets asked a lot and the conventional wisdom is
    "for the price of an xl you can get a small and a large which gives you more options for smoking on one sides on the other etc."

also, statistically speaking you are going to end up with more than one egg anyway so why not just "cut to the chase" and get them both now. :laugh:

i have lge and mini, chimnea on back order :angry: and will get a small or medium soon :)
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    I have both and like them both.You will be happy with eather one but I would start with the large and go from there.
    Larry
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I have both as well and agree with YB

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    How many people will you be cooking for time after time? The large with it's taller dome can be outfitted with additional stacked racks so a lot of food can be egged on it. Personally I have nothing against a XL, but I just have no need. Furthermore I'm always amazed when a brand new egger starts out with an XL. In those cases that to me is pen*s envy.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bill S
    Bill S Posts: 22
    RRP wrote:
    The large with it's taller dome can be outfitted with additional stacked racks so a lot of food can be egged on it.

Is the dome on the Large actually taller than the dome on an XL or is it more that the height to diameter ratio is greater on the Large?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I meant to just say tall and not taller, but I do seem to remember there is not as much dome height in an XL - maybe some can chip in here!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Happy Hog
    Happy Hog Posts: 67
    I have a small, a large and a XL

If I could only have one it would be the XL
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Well,I have an XL,medium and small.If I could have only one,it would be the large/small combo :silly: Does that count as one?If not,I guess it would be the XL :whistle: But seriously,the XL is a great cooker.Personally,I think I would get more use out of a large.The only reason I use the XL so much,is because it's the newest one.I still love to cook on it,don't get me wrong,but there is no room to stack anything high on it.I would rather have a combo for different temps and smoke flavor.The XL works great for me since I don't need it :huh: I don't know if that makes any sence,but I would go large :woohoo: ;)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Welcome jtpuck,
    I have a large in FL. and a medium in NC.
    I love them both and want a small for FL.
    I think the large is a great start and any BGE is MUCH BETTR than NO BGE.
    Get one and start smoking, cooking and enjoy!
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    jtpuck wrote:
    Has anyone tried both sizes of egg? The large egg has the classic shape and design. The larger, XL egg has a different shape but more room. Does the XL egg lose any of its unique cooking capabilities? Purchasing soon, and don't want to wish I had gotten a bigger/smaller egg. Thanks

I will let you know my review this weekend after I pick up my XL tonight and get it home and settled in with the rest of the West Coast Fleet in my backyard! Large is a great place to start and learn and then go from there but if you really must because you are only getting one egg as your master plan, get the XL. You can cook more big food (turkey and such)for more people on the XL but you also burn more lump not that is much of an issue with an egg.
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    I only have a Large, so I don't have real experience of the others, and I'm pretty new. From what I've seen on this forum is that you will want multiple Eggs. There isn't a "perfect" single Egg, all have their particular advantages. The thing that makes a difference for me is the weight of the Egg. The Large is heavy, the X-Large is REALLY heavy. If you every have to do something about moving it that may make a difference.