Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome is stuck!

Options
kramerdog
kramerdog Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! Last night after cooking steaks, I decided to burn off the remaining charcoal at high temps to burn the gunk off my platesetter and daisy wheel. Well, I must have melted my gasket, as I can't get the dome open today.
I've tried putting a firestarter brick through the top and lighting it to hopefully warm things up enough to open the dome, but no luck.
Any suggestions on how I can get this open?
Thanks!

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Try lighting some starter cubes in the bottom. Warm up the egg and the adhesive will loosen. Some have carefully used a sharp utility knife between the shells to help separate them. But I think warming it up is the best way to minimize damages.
  • Buck i Nuts
    Options
    Finally.... :whistle: I did that to mine (almost had a heart attack !) and after talking to some of the guys on the forum, they told me to put three or four starter cubes and one or two pieces of lump in the draft door as far in as you can, then light it and try to force some air in the vent to get the coal hot. Then when the temp gets above 200, you can try and start using a flat puddy scraper and "gently" work it between the two gasket and work all the way around the dome and it should work itself loose.
    I am new, but since it's happend to me and I had a similar post, I thought I could finally repay some gratitude that was forwarded to me. Hope this helps you ! Be careful and keep us posted when you get it open. Time for a a new White nomax or nomad something like that. I have one and really like it ! Tucker GA Egg store has it..
  • Buck i Nuts
    Options
    I left a similar post. :( sorry, I should have read yours first. I was excited to help since I put a similar post last yr. when I did the exact same thing to mine doing the same burnoff after cooking steaks ! Want to stay in good with all the fellow Eggers ! :whistle:
  • kramerdog
    Options
    Thanks. I have some stuff burning in the bottom right now and will keep posted.
    What is White Nomex?
  • Buck i Nuts
    Options
    It's one of the newer gaskets they have that seems to hold up better than the original gray felt. It looks like a white felt, but it's made with fire retardant materials used by the fire dept. It seems to not burn so easy. I cook lots of steaks and so far, all is well :) I did have to buy some (at the advise of a fellow Eggspert) to purchase 3M spray on glue from Ace Hardware. It will help the gasket seal even better. I tried to cook too hot before the recommended 8-10 low temp cooks before doing a high temp with a new gasket replacement. Hope this helps :lol: Thanks for the update !
  • kramerdog
    Options
    Success! A little heat from the bottom, and a flat-head screwdriver around the edges a bit. Thanks for the tips. Time to go shopping for a clean putty knife and a new gasket!
  • Buck i Nuts
    Options
    Thanks very much for letting us know.... :laugh: glad you were able to open it. I know I was so releived when mine opened that I danced in my back yard like a idiot :woohoo:
    Have fun shopping for new stuff !
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    You may want to wait a bit and see how things go. If it is keeping your temps fine, why bother replacing the gasket...just because it melted and stuck together doesn't mean you have to necessarily replace it.

If you got it open and it's intact, just cook with it and see how you do. Some of us have NO gasket and things are fine and cooking well. You may even see some smoke seepage, but that's fine also, as long as your temps are holding where you need them to be.
  • Hagar
    Hagar Posts: 8
    Options
    Nomex is a fire resistant material that military flight suits are made of. This prevents burn injuries to aircrews.