Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

moose

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:S does anyone out there have a recipe and/or suggested metho for cooking a moose roast?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What cut? You should probably lard it and go high heat. Not much fat in most cuts

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    I would marinate it and rap it in bacon. Then treat it like a normal roast, 350 on a raised grid.
    I imagine you could also cook it like a pot roast, with some fluid and some veggies. Good luck, Paine
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    http://www.exoticmeats.com/recipes.aspx

check out elk caribou venison and bison recipes i suspect they are all very lean meats as is moose. hope this gets you started . don't dry it out!
    good luck
    bill
  • Grill-Gal
    Grill-Gal Posts: 17
    we have it stewed, as it is very lean and tender. You can use a dutch oven.

Moose Stew 2
    - 2 1/2 lb moose meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
    - 2 tb shortening
    - 1/4 ts cracked black pepper
    - 1/2 ts Paprika
    - 1 bay leaf
    - 1 ts salt
    - 2 cn condensed beef broth (10-1/2 ounces each)
    - 1 c dry red wine
    - 1 lg onion; diced
    - 3 carrots; sliced
    - 6 whole white onions
    - 12 sm new potatoes; peeled
    - 2 tb butter
    - 2 tb flour
    Saute meat cubes in shortening until brown on all sides. Add pepper, paprika, bay leaf, salt, beef broth, red wine, onion, and carrots. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add whole onions and potatoes; cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are barely tender. Mix butter and flour into a paste. Drop into simmering stew. Cook, stirring, until stew bubbles and thickens. Serve with rice or polenta.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    cook it like any other roast!! yes it is lean but all you need to do is watch for doneness!! ( key to not getting moose dry!) i cook mine no more then a good medium! trust me it should be good! i cook it all the time and have yet to add lard or fat or bacon and it is always yummy and juicy! good luck !
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    My daughter's nickname is Moose and right now she is in shock!!! :lol: