Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Patties on the Egg?

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to cook salmon patties - think crab cakes made with canned salmon instead of crab - on the egg tonight. My thought was to set up the small for an indirect cook at 350º or so and put the patties on a piece of foil on a raised grate up in the dome until they look done around the edges. No flipping. Is there any chance this will turn out OK?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    im not big on canned salmon or crab. find the cheapest fillet you can get, bake it, chill it, make this. you wont be sorry.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=213861&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Never tried that method, but with a little evoo on the foil it should work fine.

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Grill-Gal
    Grill-Gal Posts: 17
    Options
    I had these at the PA Eggfest, made by a very nice man from Philadelphia. They were excellent, I mean, Egg-cellent.
  • Smokin' Lady
    Smokin' Lady Posts: 158
    Options
    I did some a couple days ago when a friend brought me a recipe she thought sounded good, it was just a 213 g can salmon, drained (I used Pacific pink), 1 cup plain mashed potatoes, 1 lightly beaten egg, 2 green onions chopped, 1/2 tsp. dried dill, salt & pepper to taste. I just mixed everything together, formed it into 4 puck-shaped patties about 3/4 inch deep, and cooked them on a soaked cedar plank in my medium egg direct at 400 deg. for about 20 minutes, and we enjoyed them. Good luck with yours. If you're not using a plank, doing them indirect would probably be better.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I do this on a flat skillet with evoo and flip them just like a hamburger...and just like i used to do on the stove and they turn out fine. They cook fast so there is no need to worry about walking away, just use the skillet and evoo and flip once and they are done in about 5 minutes. Lid open.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I like the CI pan as well. The way you describe. I think you might have to flip once. Make sure to add pam or EVOO to the foil. The temp? I would go higher.
    Give it a try and let us know.
    slcakes2.jpg

Mike
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    The wife and I spent our first three months of married life living on my $49 a week unemployment check. Salmon patties were one of our company dishes. They still have a lot of happy associations.

When I cook them indoors I dredge them in seasoned flour and skillet fry them. I don't have a way to do that in the Small. What I did instead was lightly flour them, put them on an oiled sheet of foil, drizzle more olive oil on them with a sprinkle of Old Bay, slide them with the foil onto the grate with a pizza peel and cook them indirect up in the dome at 350º for 20 minutes. We just finished two of them and put the other two in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch. They were very good.

I forgot to take a photo :(