Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Filet - Cook whole or cut?

Options
70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having my parents over for father's day, and I just picked up a whole (3.5#) filet for $7.99# B) I thought about Trexing it, sear the outside, rest and then put back on egg when it gets back to 400*. I'd pull it off with an internal of around 120-125 and let it rest. Or, I could cut it into a few nice sized thick filets and cook them that way. Either method I'll rub with some evoo, salt & pepper. (maybe a little garlic in the evoo) Which would you do & why?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    i like them sliced with the bacon wrap. not so much for the bacon, but for presentation and additional seasonings on a less flavorable cut. fillets are very tender, but i think lacking in flavor, they need seasoning.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Here is a old standard that comes out well.

Drunk and Dirty Tenderloin
    From Smoke and Spice

1 cup Soy Sauce
    .5 cup Bourbon
    .25 cup Worcestershire Sauce
    2 Tbls Brown Sugar
    .5 tsp ground ginger
    4 cloves garlic, minced

2-pound beef tenderloin
    2 Tbls coarse-ground Black Pepper
    1 tsp White Pepper
    .25 cup oil, preferably canola or corn
    .25 cup water

At least 4 hours, and up to 12 hours, before you plan to barbecue, combine the marinade ingredients in a lidded jar. Place the tenderloin in a Plastic bag or shallow dish and pour the marinade over the meat. Turn the meat occasionally if needed to saturate the surface with marinade.
    Prepare the smoker for Barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 200 to 220.

Remove the tenderloin from the refrigerator and drain the marinade, reserving it. Cover the Tenderloin thoroughly with the Black Pepper first, then the white pepper. Let the tenderloin sit for 30 minutes

Pour half the marinade into a saucepan and refrigerate it until the tenderloin is cooked. If you plan to baste the meat, pour the other half of the marinade into another saucepan and stir in the oil and water. Bring the mop mixture to a boil over high heat and boil for several minutes. Keep the mop warm over low heat.

In a heavy skillet, sear the meat quickly on all sides over high heat. Transfer the tenderloin to the smoker and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours, mopping every 20 minutes in a wood burning pit, or as appropriate for your style of smoker. The meat is ready when the internal temperature reaches 140 to 145. Be careful not to overcook since tenderloin is best rare to medium-rare.

Bring the reserved portion of marinade to a boil, and boil for several minutes, until marinade is reduced by one-fourth. Slice the tenderloin and serve topped by spoonfuls of sauce.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    beat me to it...

tenderloin needs a boost in the flavor department, and rhum-n-jerk posted a good one.
    good luck
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokin' Lady
    Smokin' Lady Posts: 158
    Options
    Last time I gave each person their own filet, also wrapped in bacon, then I threw on some jumbo shrimp done with the Spicy Grilled Shrimp recipe, and leaned 3 of them together on top of each filet, and they were very well received (and eaten too quick to get pics). That said, RhumAndJerk's way sounds great, and I'm trying it next time I need a special meal.