Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tornado hit Boy Scout Camp

Options
Broc
Broc Posts: 1,398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last evening, a tornado hit our local boy scout camp, north of Omaha. Four boys killed when the big fireplace collapsed -- they hit by falling stones from the fireplace. About 40 others injured to varying degrees.

All the kids were sheltered... but the tornado hit this shelter square on.

Lots of grieving around here...

We've all been camping, most of us as scouts [in a former life]. This seems so personal.

:( :( :(

Comments

• Buck i Nuts
    Options
    I want to send my prayers for the families of these fine young men...I am deeply sorry for the loss. I'm in Murfreesboro, TN and my Dept. at State Farm passes along their prayers as well. Please take care. :sick: :(
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I was sickened to read about this. How horrible. My sympathies go out to everyone. :(
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Broc,

Heard about it on the news this morning. Very tragic. We have a friend who's kids live near there. We are praying for everyone involved and thankful for the scouts who survived and were helping others.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Or last weekend is as still the case.
    The common theme that I heard from the boys in it was that they knew what to do after it was all over. Some skills can just not be taught in a school room.

I sat down with my sons and watched the reports come in. It can get very real for them.

Still has me thinking,
    R&J
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Mother Nature has been kind of %^tchy lately. Chapman, KS got destroyed last. Luckily the students at Kansas State were out. Many dorms torn up.
    Good luck to everyone up North and prayers to all the families.

Mike
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers with the families coming from Oregon.
  • Parcall
    Parcall Posts: 47
    Options
    Our thoughts and prayers are with the kids and their families. As the father of an Eagle Scout I have spent a lot of time with scouts in campa and on the trail. Having one of them hurt is always your worst fear.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Broc,

Was this a churh group?

We heard of it on our local news this morning. Horrible events, indeed.

Last Sunday we attended my nephew's Eagle Court of Honor.

Kent
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I heard about this in the UK as i drove to work.
    Terrible.
    Don't let it stop the camps though.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    No, this was not any specific church group. The camp "portions" the summer schedule out to various scout [including church] organizations, so that the camp is always homogeneous.

I sit on a board to review the damage to the Omaha area -- which meets in just a few hours. We'll evaluate what's-happened-to-whom and what the depth of our resources may be, and what specifically we'll do to help.

Although Omaha was hard hit last Saturday, and the scout camp last night... many individuals [especially farms] in the immediate area have been hit. Eastern in Iowa is far greater damage... past the Mississippi and into Illinois and Indiana...

It seems likely we'll be trying to create some teams to leave home for a week at a time to aid depressed areas as best we can. In an earlier time in my life, I was often part of such attempts -- but now a Geezer and handicapped, I'm relegated to the cheering section.

But, if something hits my neighborhood, my Eggs stand ready to serve!

I'll relay the forum's support at tonight's meeting.

~ Bets to All!

Oops!

That's "Best" to All!

~ Broc
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    hugs and prayers to all the locals and the families. That was so heart breaking.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Broc,

Keep us updated if you would.

You know our area, we have only once had a tornado touch down here and only a handful of times have ever seen a funnel cloud or part of a funnel cloud form.

Kent
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    Our thoughts and prayers should be with all of the families that were affected. I just saw the story on the news. It sounds like those not hurt worked very hard to help the others. We should all be very proud of these young men.

TC
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    As a long time scout leader this hit my family real hard. Having something like this happen is a leaders greatest nightmare. My heart and prayers go out to them all. As soon as I heard it this morning I went to the internet to check, hoping that the radio announcer was wrong. It especially scares my wife since we will be putting our youngest son on a plane just next Thursday for 10 days hiking in the mountains of NM at Philmont Scout Ranch.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Many prayers and sorrows heading out to you and their families. Sometimes, it's very difficult to understand God's will. :(
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Prayers go out to the young men's families. My son was an eagle and even worked at Philmont. This just really made me sad.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Tom (Rusty Rooster) asked me to post this message from the Chief Scout Executive:

Our family - and I mean our Scouting family - is dealing with very tragic news this morning.

The devastating tornado and storms that tore through Western Iowa yesterday took the lives of four of our Scouts at the Little Sioux Scout Ranch. Many others - about 40 - were injured.

I can't begin to imagine the fear and terror our boys and leaders experienced during those quick and destructive moments. Our prayers and thoughts from our hearts go out to all of those affected by this terrible storm, including the families of the four boys who lost their lives, as well as those of the injured.

Our team is providing any and all resources available to offer help and support to this stricken area of our Scouting family. I urge all of you to please take a moment to offer your prayers for not only those involved in tragedy in Iowa, but also for the safety of all of our Scouts, leaders and volunteers who are camping this summer all over the country.

I am deeply saddened by these terrible losses. At the same time, I am very proud of the way our Scouts and leaders responded. Even in the face of incredible challenge, they epitomized the very best about being a Scout.

We will continue to keep you posted as we continue to provide assistance and get updates in the coming days and weeks.

God bless our Scouts.

Bob Mazucca,

Chief Scout Executive
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Our scouting community is devistated by this event, but is coming together and will survive. I have a e-mail this morning from our national executive. Since I am technologically challenged, I have no idea how to copy/paste it to this forum. It shows that our community is coming together to support and aid these families. If the fourm would like to see his letter, someone send me a e-mal address and I will be glad to forward/share it.
    Tom
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Thank you for the help Rod.
    Tom
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Glad to assist Tom. Sorry I missed you last night, but I wound up being in the office late and couldn't break out in time.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    You missed a good time, and some better instruction from Bobby-Q.
    Tom