Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt arraingment

BamaBackdraft
BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing 4 butts low and slow on a large tonite. Would the recomendation be to put all four on the grill above the platesetter or 2 on grill and 2 elevated grill? They are all in the 5-8lb range. Thanks in advanced

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I did 8 8lb butts last week, liked this setup for them. -RP
    IMG_1053Small.jpg
  • Thanks AZRP! Did you put the bigger ones on top or bottom? I'm using a Maverick 73 and haven't conned a Guru out of the wifey yet. Would you monitor a small one then transfer the probe to the bigger one after the smaller gets to temp?
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Im also cooking two butts sat night. I was wondering the same thing. Monitor the small then the large? I actually use a wireless probe I got at lowes for about 40 bucks but it works well. My father has the same one so Im thinking of getting his and trying to monitor both but im not sure if they transmit on the same frequency. If I dont Im going to just monitor the small then take it off and probe the large. one is 9.4 and the other is 8.7. Good luck!
  • Maciek
    Maciek Posts: 54
    I've done two butts at the same time twice with a Maverick ET-73. I just put the probe in the smaller butt. I pull them off at 200, so when the small one gets to about 195, I do a quick check of the larger one and as long as its temp is lower than the small one, I put the probe back in the small until its done then switch over.

Hope that paragraph makes sense. Good luck!