Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

skirt steak vs. flank steak

Options
Tanker Tim
Tanker Tim Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all,[p]
just curious about the differences between skirt and flank steak.
they look almost identical in the cryovac pack, but here flank steak is almost $1.00 a pound cheaper. [p]
Any inputs?[p]Thanks,[p]TT

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Tanker Tim,[p]While both cuts are used to make fajitas, the original, and true "carne asada" (therefore fajitas) is made only from skirt steak.[p]Skirt steak is the outer rim of the diaphram (sic?) muscle, whereas flank is, uh, er, unm, somewhere else... Hehehe I've forgotten where, but I *think* it's higher up on a "normally standing" cow.[p]Anyway, the important part is that these two cuts taste (and cook) a world apart! The skirt is one of my favorite parts of a cow when I really want that BEEF flavor. The flank is great for a quick grill with a lot of some other flavor like teriyaki, kalbi, red wine and herbs, etc. It's a winner when it comes to soaking up marinades or brines.[p]The skirt is also a little bit more forgiving WRT over cooking.[p]Be careful though, a lot of stores are trying to sell strips of flank cut similar to pinwheeled skirt as actual skirt steak. I prefer to get my skirt steak trimmed, but not pinwheeled, fresh fom my butcher.[p]It really is the one cut of meat that I go way out of my way to buy from my local butcher.[p]The net result: if you're getting REAL skirt steak at a buck less than flank, that's lilkey to be a good deal.[p]MMmmmm carne asada,
    bc