Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Update

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had been told that RO was no longer available from the local Walmart managers.

I also decided to call RO myself and talked with the sales rep for our area. I was also given the name of the Walmart contact who deals with RO.

Info from Walmart corporate person was not real helpful but I was told he would check and call back. Evidently RO is ordered by the store department manager and RO is not stocked in Distribution Centers at all, stores have to order it for their specific location. Some stores are authorized to order RO and some stores are not authorised (by Walmart corporate).

If a Walmart had RO previously it most likely can still order it.

Therefore, information I got from the local Walmart manager(s), 3 of them in 3 different stores was incorrect.

RO is packaged for BGE and others. There are other color bags of RO other than green & red. RO also packages under the Kroger name. I began to ask more questions about other private labeling packages and at that the RO contact began to direct the conversation in a different direction.

Also, Kroger brand is also RO.

I am unable to locate any at WM but I have found a few bags at several Kroger owned stores out here.

I aske if there was nay problems with RO production and that was not confirmed or denied. However, it didn't sound like there were problems from the RO end of things

So my search continues...

GG

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    That's awesome info GG...I have seen lump in Kroger's but had no idea if it was worth trying..good to know this ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    I was real gald to learn that also.

It sounds like I can have the Krogers brand ordered in out here as I need it. It's pretty hard trying to get correct info from the WM folks.

I am guessing the bag is about 8#.

Kroger is $5.47/bag + tax out here.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    From my experience, Wal Mart is a very religious organization -- follows the scriptures meticulously, so that its left hand doesn't know what its right is doing!

:) :laugh: :)
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    One of my customers is a Walmart Distribution center in Hopkinsville, KY...next time I'm there I'm gonna see about this distribution thing...I can't imagine that they dont go thru a distribution center for EVERYTHING that WM carries...
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Nice to know GG. Our wally world has plenty but I just picked up a #40 bag from my dealer today to try. It's a plain brown bag that might come from chigger creek but not sure. I'll post a pic later & maybe the Wiz will know. I'll try it this weekend.
  • Grandpas Grub
    That is what I would have thought. However, the WM contact, given to me directly by RO said stores order it individually.

WM is such a huge corporation, individual ordering would seem a little bit 'out of school'. Anyway it was just what I was told.

It will be extremely interesting what you learn from your contact.

GG
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Rather than speculate, there is a member of this forum that I won't OUT that works for RO and a BGE owner. I would hope he chimes in with the real story. Too much drama.
    Doug
    still think it's a great sales ploy...........
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I just picked up another 12 bags at WM about an hour ago. -RP
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Best Choice and Wegmans is also Royal Oak. And of course, Nature-Glo is Royal Oak. My local Kroger doesn't have their own brand! They have the new Kingsford which is made in the USA, unlike the sparky crazy stuff from Argentina they sold last year. The Kingsford is next on the review list. Maybe in a couple of weeks. I think I'll take this weekend off.

I also have a note that Royal Oak is made by Royal Oak. I guess you can never be too careful, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Seen pallets of 5lb bags of RO in 2 of the local WM stores in the Mobile, AL area.
  • They never did carry here in Ocean City however the butcher I go to in Delaware, Sam Yoders just started to carry it for 16 dollars for 20 pounds
  • Grandpas Grub
    Buckethead,

Who I talked with was a real RO employee and he did say he owned an egg. Possibly if it is Mike, he will jump in.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Interesting... The Smith's out here, I am guessing owned by Korger, did have Kingsford.

I got Kingsford, sparky last year and I guess I will try another bag this year to see what is what.

I can get Cowboy out here at Home Depot & Lowes, but that Red Bag Royal Oak is nowhere to be found.

Nevertheless, Mike Hueter from Walmart corporate, what ever that means but somewhere above local and the distribution centers said he would check out inventories out this way and see if any of the local WM's carried it this year.

As it stands right now it looks like Smiths out here will order their brand in any time someone out here needs it. So the quest, for me seems to be over.

GG
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Plenty of RO out here in California at the Walmarts I have been to. It is my backup to my Lazzari stash.
    I burn about 20 pounds a week and always looking for back up stash.
  • Eggatorium
    Eggatorium Posts: 99
    No RO in the north Denver area and limited supply of BGE lump. :huh: