Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I broke a screw tightening...

MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was doing a little tightening on the bolts on my BGE XL when one suddenly snapped right off, leaving a good chunk in the hole. Now what? I guess I was under the impression that you were supposed to tighten all the bolts after a few uses, especially when its newer.

Should I have even been fiddling with those screws in the first place? My paper/dollar bill test was showing very little resistance in a spot, that's why I was just giving everything a tightening.

I called the ACE Hardware (Rochester, MN) where I bought it and they told me to bring the busted piece in, not sure what they'll be able to do with it but hopefully they can do something. Otherwise I wonder if BGE will help with this, I hope so!

Here's a couple pics of the problem. Any suggestions on how to get the bolt out? I'm pretty much clueless with tools and not really any kind of a handyman.

IMG_5389small.jpg

IMG_5392small.jpg

Thanks,
John House
Rochester, MN

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Take the bottom band off. It will fall off in your hand. That "bolt" is nothing more then a flat head screw held by the band.

Get a new one and you are back in business
  • Thanks Celtic Wolf!

Really all I need to do is take that band off? I didn't put the egg together, it was assembled when I bought it. What's the proper way to do that sort of thing? I don't want to break stuff or hurt anyone--obviously, I wouldnt' get hurt because I'm in incredible shape since I go around breaking screws! :P
  • Celtic Wolf
    Really all you need to do is take the band off. Just don't to it alone.

Just loosen up the carriage bolt holding the band tight (try not to break it). With the help of a buddy lift the dome off. That little piece that is left will fall out. Your Dealer of BGE HQ should be able to get you a new one to replace it. Put it in, tighten it up and put the dome back on. Make sure the band is up against the lip round the base and tighten the carriage bolt back you.

Easy Peasy!!
  • Is the carriage bolt the big bolt that is bent a little? So just undoing the one bolt will allow the whole thing to lift off? Lots of questions I know...I may even ask the guys at the hardware store to show me what the proper way to do this is. Do I need to worry about the springs at all?

Thanks
  • Celtic Wolf
    Yes the carriage bolts are the two bolts parallel with the ground. Loosen the bottom one carefully cause it is bent (on purpose) and the whole dome and hinge assembly will lift right off.

It's not rocket science.. else stike would never be able to do this...
  • The back of my egg...

IMG_5394small.jpg
  • Okay, I'll try that then. I'm still not sure how the bottom bolt coming out will allow the whole dome to be removed since the hinge bolts are connected to the top and bottom rings...but maybe it will become loose enough for that to work fine. Do I need to even take the rings off, or just loosen it up enough to drop the bolt out?

Thanks again for all your help.
  • the back of my egg does not look a damn thing like that? Mine has springs and the hinges look totally different?
  • Kentucky Egg Man, is your egg an XL? Mine has more hinges/springs on it, just not in the picture.

I have an XL that was purchased about a month and a half ago so maybe its a new design...honestly I have no clue. ;)
  • Celtic Wolf
    The hinge is clamped to the bottom by that bolt. The hinge assembly is attached to the bands. Nothing is physically bolted into the ceramics.

Trust me I have done this more them once.

Don't make me whip out the pictures of my Xl shattered all over my porch. :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    You don't have an XL.. Now hush!! :woohoo:
  • Thanks for the description...i trusted you all along, just needed some extra "hand-holding" I guess because I don't want to bust that thing!
  • Celtic Wolf
    That too can be fixed!!!

before.jpg

after.jpg

See you made me whip out the scary pictures..

Now go forth grasshopper and fix that thang..
  • Ouch! That looks rough. Bummer to see that happen to ya!

Thanks for your help, I'll try and take care of this tomorrow evening.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I haven't had time to read all the responses hopefully this has been covered. Neverthless, I wanted to offer a word of caution.

If I am wrong, hopefully someone will jump in and correct me.

That hinge assembly provides a lot of force in order to assist lifting and keep open that heavy dome. When removing bands it is important not to allow the assembly to 'snap' open when there is no weight holding that hinge with full spring tension.

I don't know the procedure or safety steps you should take but make sure you clearly understand what is required BEFORE you begin.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Actually that is not the case with the XL.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    There should be a warning when pics like that are posted! :( My stomach flips every time is see that poor bottom all over the place. :sick:
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Actually there is no need to remove the dome. First of all get a replacement bolt before you start, I can send one to you if you email me at mail@eggsbythebay.com

All you really need to do is remove only the bottom left side hardware off the bottom band only (as you are looking at the back of the Egg...as pictured above).

Once you can get the broken bolt out and replace with a new one, put all back together (using the other-LEFTside as an example to follow).

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Follow Smitty's advice.

1) Get a replacement bolt. (Get a couple in case you need another in in the future - your dealer may have a few lying around. Got a few from my dealer when I twisted one of mine off)

2) Loosen the bottom carriage bolt enough to remove and replace the flush mounted bolt. No need to remove the dome or loosen the top carriage bolt.

3) Tighten everything back up. Don't have to get down heavy on the small flush mounted bolts. Get heavy with the carriage bolt.

Ensure that the lower band is against the lip all the way around when you tighten back up - if not you will have alignment problems.

In your photo it looks like the top band could be a little away from the lip. If so you could loosen it a little and make sure it is also against the lip for proper alignment between the dome and base. A clamp that can be reversed is handy for this.

101_2464640x480.jpg

101_2462640x480.jpg
  • Thanks Smitty. I'll see if I can get a screw today at the hardware store, if not, I'll get in touch with you via email. Thanks for your offer.

John
  • Frank thanks for the picture! I'll follow up with all this later and hopefully have good news to report this evening! When I'm doing that I'll look at the band is up against the lip as well, I didn't realize they were off I guess.

Thanks for the comments.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's a "clinch stud". not quite a flathead screw, but dang near just that. there's just no slot (or phillip's head). not on mine anyway.

take one to a (small) hardware store and see if they have them. I vaguely remember that they weren't anything rare, because i saw them at a true-value.

if worse comes to worse, check wiuth a local BGE dealer, they may have spares from all the putting-together of eggs that they do.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BTW - I used mine with a busted screw (yes, I do have a couple loose screws - doesn't everybody) until I got a replacement. Just be gentle opeing and closing the dome.