Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken

GreenEgger
GreenEgger Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, I'm a newbie going to try out the Spatchcock Chicken for the first time this week. I was going by the info on NakedWhiz's site, however, could not find the recommended BBQr's Delight Orange Wood Pellets (at neither Ace nor Walmart)...does anyone have any similar smoke suggestions for the recipe that work well?

Thanks for the help!
Brian

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    HI NEW EGGER! We do this at least once a week cheap dinner, fast and easy and left overs for lunch :) We just use our regular lump and sometimes I add chips for more smoke and sometimes not. I just give it a healthy dusting with some dizzy pig and roast away. You really can screw it up! Enjoy :) Julie
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    I would skip the smoke pellets for your first go. There will be plenty of smoke generated via the drippings from the cook. Poultry soaks up smoke like a sponge and if too much is used, you will not like it.
  • I would second (or third) the recommendation to skip the smoke on the first one. Chicken is very susceptible to retaining smoke.

Also, make sure your fire is burning good and clean before you put the bird on. I don't think I ever go less than 20 minutes from the time I light the fire till I put the food on. Smoke from the chimney should be non-existent or translucent-blueish.

here's a real good link from fellow Egger Thirdeye to get you started:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2004/02/introduction-to-barbecuing.html
  • ChitownBBQ
    ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
    I just threw on some of what I had (apple & cherry, I think) and it was awesome.

I used the panko/parmesan over bbq rub version and my wife won't let me make it any other way now.

;)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    The BGE and the forum have convinced to monitor the temperature on 90% of my cooks. The breast should be at 165° and the thighs at 180° plus. It is nearly fool proof and I’ve yet to have a dry piece of chicken. The skin isn’t always as crisp as I would like, but the wife says we’re not supposed to eat the skin. :( For this I usually shake a little rub under the skin. You’re going to enjoy the egg.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Sometimes I crank up the temp to 425 - 450 for the remaining 10 minutes to crisp up the skin. And yes, my wife says the same thing about NOT eating the skin :blink:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Chicken does soak up smoke real well. Thats why I like it. ;) I use presimmon wood on mine but as others have said be carefull if you don't like smoke taste. Hear is a link to a bird I did not long ago: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=448631&catid=1
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Ummmm, something you will enjoy.

I do like smoke flavor. I use Cherry or Grape Vine or Jack Daniels or Apple, all 4 offer great taste.

It will be good without any smoking wood though.

GG
  • SC chicken is pretty cool. I think it is better than Beer can chicken. My wife is very particular about her chicken being done and I did a SC chicken on sunday and she thought it was the best chicken she every had and it did not have to be burnt. Keep it simple. I brined my chicken overnight and SC it. applied a commercial rub and put it on the EGG. I use BGE charcoal and no wood chips. Came out moist, juicy, and tender.. Can't ask for anything better.
  • Greenegger,

I use the grid extender with chicken always.

Since "The Chicken" posting....I have also started putting a pan below the chicken with quarter red potatoes, vidalia onions, and bell peppers. Catches all the drippings and flavors the veggies nicely.

Use whatever wood taste you like...i use mesquite on chicken. Put it on after you have the "blue smoke" and it will turn out great.

Jim
    Snellville, GA