Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Mashed Potato help!

ChitownBBQ
ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone posted a link to an awesome site with pics, but no real recipe.

Does anyone have the full recipe?

The wife and her friends saw the pictures and want some this week..

Damn, I have to egg again...

B)

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    don't have awesome site link but these were my first try. soak planks several hours. make mashed potatos there were 4 medium idaho and i large japanese sweet potato . on to the plank while hot on to the egg direct about 350-400 till they begin to get a bit of brown crust. higher temps will give more charred wood and stronger smoke flavor , cedar is pretty strong so i kept this light and very little char on the wood they were great.

f5dab12b.jpg

4b2fdd1e.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    here is one of them:::

Potatoes, Mashed, Cedar Planked, Sweet

Richard Fl, Here is one I used last weekend and it turned out great.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 large sweet potato
    4 large potatoes
    2 Tbs (30 ml) butter
    1 Tbs (15 ml) melted butter
    1/2 cup (125 ml) 10% cream
    1/4 cup (50 ml) sour cream
    1/4 cup (50 ml) Parmesan cheese divided
    2 cloves roasted garlic - peeled and chopped
    1 Tbs (15 ml) chopped green onions
    1 Tbs (15 ml) chopped parsley
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    pinch of paprika
    1 Cedar Grilling Plank

Directions:
    1 In a large saucepan boil potatoes and sweet potatoes until cooked approximately 20 minutes
    2 Mash potatoes, sweet potatoes and chopped roasted garlic together with cream, sour cream, butter and ½ the Parmesan cheese
    3 Arrange mashed mixture on buttered plank
    4 Cook on indirect heat at 350°F (175°C) for approximately 30 minutes
    5 Remove from barbeque
    6 Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
    7 Top with melted butter, remaining Parmesan cheese, parsley, green onions and pinch of paprika
    8 Serve on plank

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, IBeeSmok'n, 11/11/07

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    I have done them in a similar fashion, I used ranch dressing instead of cream. I also cut rounds of string cheese- this recipe or one like it is out somewhere.

Walt
  • ChitownBBQ
    ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
    Yeah, this is the one I saw. The one with the picture mentions string cheese & ranch dressing.

I think I'll drop the sweet potato, swap the sour cream for ranch and cheddar for the parmesan (although I love parmesan)...hm, maybe permesan AND sharp cheddar...

Thanks!
  • McPhreak
    McPhreak Posts: 42
    Does soaking the plank vs buttering it make any difference?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    someone else will have to post the recipe, but just a quick comment; make sure you set up direct (so that the plank can 'see' the coals). if you use a plate setter or other barrier and set the planks on top, you won't really get much smoke from them. you'll have fancy little wood plates is all.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I am probably late to this dinner, but this is my version. PS I am having leftover poyams tonight and they are even better than when cooked fresh 2 nights ago.

POYAMSVEGGIESBREAD.jpg

Potatoes, Mashed, Cedar-Planked, POYAMS, Richard Fl

Thanks to the recipes from Smokin' Lady and IBeeSmok'n, I have made these great sides of mashed potatoes several times..

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes
    1 Large Yam
    Butter
    Sour Cream
    Parmesan Cheese
    Bacon Bits
    Garlic powder
    Salt/Pepper
    Parsley/Chives for garnish
    Cedar Planks

Procedure:
    1 Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces, 1 1/2 inch or so. Boil for 12-15 minutes, not mushy. Mash or use a potato ricer. Mix in melted butter, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon bits, seasoning.
    2 Take pre-soaked cedar planks and put poyams on them. Place in BGE 350 indirect for 30-40 minutes. Remove add butter, parsley/chives and serve.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 3 hours and 45 minutes

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/05/25