Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

[OT] Health and BBQ Blog

Options
Celtic Wolf
Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In case anybody cares!!

After slapping myself in the face I have started a Health and BBQ section on my blog. This was brought on by WileEcoyote, and Bacchus posting about BBQ and health. Those posts triggered me to check my own serum glucose levels. What I saw scared the crap out of me.

Peer pressure is an amazing thing and I am going to use it to get myself healthy once again. I am going to post my daily Blood Glucose Average, Weight, Dietary intake and exercise to the blog. Good or Bad it will be posted. I invite your comments good or bad. My hope is to shame myself back to health by putting it all in front of those I have called friends.

I invite any one who cares to join me in this quest for health and good BBQ to join me by posting your own progress. Simply register and I will set you up as an author so you can start your own blog page with your progress.

Celtic Spirit BBQ Blog

See you on the road to good health and good food.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Good idea! Out of curiosity, what are you using to check your sugar level?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    One Touch - Ultrasmart.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    Pete,
    Unfortunatly, it seems that as men we have to feel crappy before we think about our health. And as distinguished (read:OLDER!)men we should probably all think about taking care of ourselves more than we do. It sounds like you're taking the first step once again. I've been on the same page (mostly due to gentle nudging(read:nagging) by my wife and kids. And as much as I'd like to alternate baby backs with rib-eyes for dinner each night, it seems that it's just not the right way to go.

so I'm learning to fix more veggies than meat. more fruit than ice cream, and more exercise than TV and forum surfing. I'll keep reading your blog. I can use the inspiration. and maybe by knowing that we're reading it'll keep you honest.
    mike
  • Raytheone
    Raytheone Posts: 10
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,

I was (am) somewhat in the same boat. Last March (07) I too was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My BG was 458 and my cholesterol over 200.
    I weighed about 270, and I'm only 5' 11". Needless to say, I got a good wake up call. Since then, I'm down to 155 lbs, my BG averages 90, and my cholesterol is 135.

How???
    Simple, A healthy diet and exercise. I know nobody wants to hear that, but thats what worked for me. I cook on the egg every day, but it's mostly fish,chicken, lean pork and lean beef. Lots of vegetables and whole grains.

The other big part of it portion control. I have spent my whole life eating enough for at least 3 people. I thought that was part of what made me happy. I was wrong!!
    I now eat what I should, and I'm a LOT happier.
    Do I miss the old ways? Not really. I look and feel better than I ever have, plus I want to keep the diabetes in check for as long as I can.

I don't post much, but I wanted to speak up and give my support to you. I wish you well, and I will check out your blog.

C.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I have found the solution. You see, I seldom cook anything on my Eggs. I just burn the charcoal and tell people about it, LMAO!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    i know the diet.., I just choose to ignore it. Why I haven't got a clue. You would think an Ex-Paramedic with two parents that died due to complications of Diabetes I would know not to ignore it.

Well now it's in my face.. I plan on keeping it there too
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Good idea.
    I think I am going to focus on quality rather than quantity. Big bold flavors, heavy on the spice....and yes, a large steak should definately yield more than one meal.

Ron
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    My hat's off to you Pete, congratulations.

Interesting this health post this morning. All, please make sure you read my following post which will be up in the next 30 minutes or so.

Kent
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    sent you an e-mail early this morning but it came back .. so
    you said you checked your b.g. ...good did you go to the m.d. for complete blood work and a physical???
    if not , please do so.
    you need to know your cholesterol and tri glyceride levels as well .
    please have a fasting b.g. test and get your A1C which is a guage of how your levels have been over the last 3 months and more important than a single daily read. please post your A1c, too
    after your physical get your eyes checked and your gums
    diabetes, as you know, can cost you your toes, your vision and your teeth [diabetes exacerbates gum disease and gum infection makes sugar control more difficult as does any infection] . diabetes is a major cause of erectile dysfunction! no happy face no devil face emoticons just fyi
    all my best wishes for your success. some of us grumpy old farts are not very good at taking care of ourselves. good luck
    bill
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Bill please don't misunderstand me here or think I am rude; however, what I didn't post here or it was implied in one of my responses was the fact I have forgotten more about Diabetes them most folks know.

For the record my Tri-Glycerides at my last physical were below 200 and my A1C's were below 7%. My current state is my own damn fault, and other then my weight is recent. I know how to bring it back under control and I will.

For the record lost toes, lost teeth, blindness and ED are minor stuff compares to Dementia, Heart Attacks and Strokes. If you want to scare me you need to think bigger :woohoo:
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    well it was a good first shot. and since you are knowledgeable my best option now is moral support and prayer. [know that you have both] and if i sense you are weakening some comment about how much the grandchildren love you.
    good luck and i will be watching ;)
    bill
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    That is exactly what this ex-street doc is asking for :)