Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru Accessory-Shake your Ash Grate-BBQGURU

Options
Smokin-AJ's
Smokin-AJ's Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do any of you use the "Shake Your Ash Grate" from the BBQ GURU guys? Does it work good for you? Some say it will allow you to burn your lump better and evenly?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I made a poker rod that I poke through the door and then up the CI grate air hole openings.
  • vf2mmco
    vf2mmco Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there. I'm new to this site, but am looking for a new grill and dont want to go to gas
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Best way to get an answer would be post a new topic but I think you'll find nothing but praise for the egg here.
  • vf2mmco
    vf2mmco Posts: 2
    Options
    FLOPOOLMAN, I live in Orlando, can you just go to a store and buy one of these? Do I have to order it online. Are you happy with yours? How much more or less is the Large Egg?
  • MountainEGGer
    Options
    Lawn Ranger makes a tool like this (a wiggle rod I believe he calls it), you just have to be patient if you want one.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I have one...haven't used it much lately because of the burn pattern I got produced by using that in conjunction with the DigiQ on low-and-slow cooks. Went back to the standard cast iron grate. Now that you've mentioned it, though, I may just break it out to try it again.

I like it when cooking at high temps--steak, pizza are the ones I really got good performance with while using the Turbo Grate. Perhaps I'm not very good at placing the lump in the right places in the cooker for that setup.

Here it is in the LBGE:
    IMG_9245.jpg

This is what I use to get ash off the lump:
    IMG_9851.jpg

I put the lump in the basket w/holes in it and shake it out in the little trash can.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Buy from a dealer and you get a lifetime warranty on most parts, buy online and your on your own. I have 2 larges (others have from 1 to 6) and love it. Got rid of a lot of grills/smokers after the first 2 years with the egg so if you want my opinion buy an egg and ask questions here first so you get the size that fits your needs. I love my 2 larges and want to add a small soon but the first one replaced 4 different cookers. Can cook for 35 plus with better results, but I would shop your local dealers and stay away from online. Hope this helps you.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSCN2979.jpg
    I leave it all the time it works great.
    Ross
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    vf2mmco wrote:
    FLOPOOLMAN, I live in Orlando, can you just go to a store and buy one of these? Do I have to order it online. Are you happy with yours? How much more or less is the Large Egg?

When I lived in Orlando, Swim & Stuff on 434 in Longwood carried the BGE. Cost - figure on $700 to $800 unless you are able to get a 'used' one at an eggfest. Go to The Big Green Egg Homepage - http://www.biggreenegg.com/ - and use the dealer locater at the top left. I just checked and found twelve in the Orlando area.