Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great weekend, a few "lessons" learned

Options
James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well we had a gorgeous weekend here in the UK and I got to play with my Medium a bit. I got some more band bolts but haven't fitted them yet.

1. I was tipping some lit lump in from a chimney and a small piece fell through landing on the edge of the folded egg mate - no worries just getting it worn in, that burn mark is a badge of honour.

2. I was lighting the Weber kettle (yes I know that's sacrilege here but spouse acceptance is key) and thought I’d just tip a couple lit of briquettes into the egg to get the lump in that going – “just in case I needed it for that chicken I had spatchcocked..”
Without realising what I was doing I rested the (very) hot chimney on the felt gasket while trying to nudge a couple of briquettes in.
Hmm – not total disaster but not pretty either – let’s hope it doesn’t get worse.

3. It just so happens that the aforementioned chicken ended up on the egg ;-) indirect on an upturned platesetter with drip pan. Towards the end of the cook I wanted to crisp it up a little. So, off with the laden grate (courtesy of my third hand – very easy), then lift out the drip pan, an aluminium pizza tray over a steel one, – which had become wedged between the platesetter legs.
Conscious of the fact that I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt and the oven gloves weren’t holding up too well I realised I had to set the whole lot down briefly before finding a place for them to cool and then separate them not risking life and limb or platesetter. Popped them on the table part of the Weber for a moment, put the bird back in the egg (direct) and then moved the platesetter.
Well the Weber table is stainless sheet metal that is also, rather irritatingly, a lid into a storage bin where I keep some bits. I had resigned myself that I may easily get a big heat stain but would accept that. Amazingly no stain but it was a bit warped – should have thought about the expansion effects. Instinctively I just tried to smooth it back.
It was still surprisingly hot and did something interesting to my fingerprints which has given me a hard time logging in to my work PC this morning!
Nothing serious just the ego dented, still – it’s not as if anyone saw it, or knows!

4. On Friday night’s cook my wife caught me taking some photos and has almost given up on me so I’m afraid I haven’t had the nerve to get the camera out much.

I know you all like pics so I’ll try and put a link to a photobucket album, meanwhile here’s something I did earlier:
DSC_0645.jpg

And possibly an album on photobucket of misc pics.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/jamesmbphoto/BGE/

OK I'm not sure if they'll work but at least I've tried!

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Great post. We all have those brainless moments where we touch or grab something hot, knowing we shouldn't be doing it, yet we can't stop our hand in time.

Regarding the burn marks on your mates, don't worry mate, they're going to be gnarly before you know it - it just happens,.

I burned mine one time long ago, before tables and when I used to use electric starters. So I decided to just make a pattern of it. You can see it in this photo:

Butts-1.jpg

No matter how hard you try, they aren't going to stay pretty. They get weathered and greasy and dirty. Like you say, a badge of honor...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You'll find there are many "Badges of honour" that occur with time.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well we all have a "badge of honor" here or there.. i personally don't keep much hair on my arm :)

also like the photos.. kind of strange seeing that brisket like that

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice post. Great photos. My favorite is the one of the little one with the blue eyes. :) Too cute.