Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken, new twist???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, here’s the question for ya'll. It would seem that the whole spatchcock chicken thing gets rave reviews but I have to ask, is there any way to make it more gooder? [p]For instance, has anyone tried to inject a bird before cooking it?
Or brining?
Or anything else?[p]Thoughts are welcomed.[p]Matt.

Comments

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Anything that improves a normal chicken cook will improve a spatchcock cook.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    South O:[p]I do a short brine with mine before I cut the backbone out. The nice thing about butterflying chicken is that the breast is left intact and therefore stays moist. That alone makes a big difference.[p]If you like smoke you can try a short smoke with a mild wood like pecan then let the temperature rise for grilling.
    [/b]
  • Unknown
    Options
    South O,
    I always brine the bird for 24 hours - do I need to? I don't know but the results are always wonderful so why not go for the best! Life ain't no dress rehearsal! ^oo^~

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Actually, I do my s'd birds at 350-375 and I just throw on the smoking wood and the put the bird on. I don't see a need to do a low temp bit for the smoke. What temps did you have in mind?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    South O,
    I can't imagine a need to brine a chicken that you are going to spatchcock for reasons of moisture. If you want to do it for flavor, to get some spices and flavor into the meat, then it probably would alter the nature of the bird. However, if you are only after moist meat, I can't imagine a chicken being more moist. You'd have to wear a raincoat! Here is a story about how moist a spatchcock chicken is:

[ul][li]How Juicy Is A Spatchcock Chicken?[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]:~)[p]WD
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Whiz:[p]Let me clarify . . .[p]When I am grilling and want some smoke I bring the cooker up to my normal grilling temperature. The bird is placed on the grill and the desired amount of dry chips or small chunks are added to the hot coals (flip grate) and stirred a bit to promote a quick smoke. The dampers are adjusted as if I was doing a 200º low and slow to retain as much of the smoke as possible without the fire going out. After smoking fifteen to thirty minutes the vents are opened and the bird is grilled in the 350º range.[p]I use this technique for anyting I want to give a short smoking like fish, sausage, birds, rabbit, etc.
  • Unknown
    Options
    TNW,
    Now that's good reading. lol.[p]The reason why I asked is because I will be competing in my first cook off this weekend and will have my large egg there in addition to a big metal cooker. Most of the grub that I will be serving to friends and family on Friday night will most likely be done both as will the majority of food to be turned in. My cooking partner (another egger) and I will more than likely do chicken on both and taste which comes out better for the turn in. I was looking for any advantage I could find...[p]Btw, we will be serving pizza, steaks, wings, corn on the cob, beans, country style ribs, home made ice cream and a couple of other items to be determined on Friday night. We may not win at the competion but I bet that we have the best reception going on![p]
    Icy cold long neck bottles of American made Busch's to ya.
    Matt.

• Kansas
    Kansas Posts: 11
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    You are crazy! You are welcome in at my house in Kansas anytime.
    John