Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Egg, Ribs, and Wood Chunks

Dhilton
Dhilton Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so tomorrow is rib day and my first time! i'm going to add some hickory wood chuncks as i don't have the chips. how may should i add in a large egg? you don't need to soak the chunks right? should i get the coals going then add the wood or what's the usual process.
thanks for helping out a rookie!

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I smoke my ribs with cherry, a much less strong wood, and I add two fist-sized chunks as a rule. If I were to add hickory, I'd probably add just one, but that's me. I don't soak my smoking woods, either.
  • Dhilton
    Dhilton Posts: 22
    also, does it really matter if you use the bge brand of chips? it's just wood right? i know it's best to use natural coals but is it ok to use wood chips from lowes/hardware stores? i would assume there is no chemicals in wood but who knows these days....
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I would assume they're all just the natural wood split or cut to the size you see. I think any chemicals they would add could only make them more costly. I personally use wood chunks from a local BBQ store.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I agree with Jeffersonian, cherry or apple works best IMHO. 2 chunks. Smoking wood is smoking wood.

Mike
  • Bahmanicious
    Bahmanicious Posts: 105
    carwash mike wrote:
    I agree with Jeffersonian, cherry or apple works best IMHO. 2 chunks. Smoking wood is smoking wood.

Mike

I'm personally not so sure that "smoking wood is smoking wood." And I mean no disrespect with this, but if you get fruitwood from an orchard that had been spraying the trees for a decade or more, I'm not so sure I would want to smoke with that wood. I'm not a scientist or agronomist, but I am suspect. YMMV.
    Best,
    WA

PS, I ALWAYS remove the bark. You wouldn't cook a chicken with the feathers on, would you?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Where do you think fruitwood is going to come from? You can't possibly think the apple wood supply is in the forest? Of course they come from orchards. I have seen the drying process. I think we will be alright. :)

Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Don't you eat the fruit from those same trees? If there were any residual pesticide on the wood, at least it is being burned (and hopefully burned off before the meat is added) and not directly ingested.

And I am a convert in that now I don't think bark makes a difference if left on or removed.
  • Car Wash Mike
    DOH! Nice point Rod. I'm just assuming those veggies and fruits in the store are as pure as the driven snow. :ohmy:

Mike
  • Bahmanicious
    carwash mike wrote:
    Where do you think fruitwood is going to come from? You can't possibly think the apple wood supply is in the forest? Of course they come from orchards. I have seen the drying process. I think we will be alright. :)

Mike

Well, I have fruitwood on my farm (that has been in the family for close to 100 years (the farm, not the fruit wood)) that has never been sprayed.

I wasn't stompn' in your coolaid dude. Just offered a personal opinion, and offered up respect prior to. Smoke with whatever the hell makes you happy. If you like cooking your chicken with feathers on it...who am I to say that you are wrong?

As my grandmother was fond of saying, "to each his own said Betsy, when she kissed the cow."
    Best,
    WA
  • Car Wash Mike
    You are the one getting hostile.
    So the veggies you get at the store are okay? How much of that fruit did you sell?
    You seem to have a thing with chickens and feathers. :woohoo: What is up with that?
    So are you Johnny Appleseed?
    Mike
  • Bahmanicious
    Fidel wrote:
    Don't you eat the fruit from those same trees? If there were any residual pesticide on the wood, at least it is being burned (and hopefully burned off before the meat is added) and not directly ingested.

And I am a convert in that now I don't think bark makes a difference if left on or removed.

Yes...but I wash it first. I like the "hopefully burned off" part. ;)

The bark on thing? That's your opinion. I respect your right to have that opinion.
    Best,
    WA
  • Bahmanicious
    carwash mike wrote:
    You are the one getting hostile.
    So the veggies you get at the store are okay? How much of that fruit did you sell?
    You seem to have a thing with chickens and feathers. :woohoo: What is up with that?
    So are you Johnny Appleseed?
    Mike

Hostile? You >are< a funny guy!

"Out here in the fields
    I farm for my meals
    I get my back into my living.
    I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven."

-Baba O'Riley by The Who

Go listen to it and chill out. Get over the fact that someone disagreed with you and did it respectfully.
    best,
    WA
  • Car Wash Mike
    Look at your posts dude.
  • Bahmanicious
    Yeah...what you said.
    WA
  • Car Wash Mike
    There is a real easy solution to this. Just post a new thread. Asking about fruit wood and spraying the trees.
    It goes on all the time.

Mike