Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How does the BGE do for fast grilling? Like burgers and dogs? I'm considering it as a replacement for my gas bbq.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Paul Bennett,[p]It does a great job at grilling almost anything. Burgers took me a little while to perfect because I couldn't believe they were done as fast as they were. Don't wait, run and get one or..... I have a nice gas grill that you may be interested. Very low hours (none) in the 18 months I have had an egg. [p]If you have any other questions this forum is the place to ask. A lot of great people have made my eggsperience even better. [p]Good luck with your decision.[p]Chuck <><

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Paul Bennet[p]Yes....RUN.....DON'T WALK !!![p]Chubby!!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Paul Bennett,
    You can do just about anything you want on a BGE except make ice cream. Pizza, low and slow, roasts, turkeys, super hot steaks, beef jerky etc. etc. etc.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Paul Bennett,[p]Many of us had gassy grills and many of us kept them around to store things in once we go our Eggs. Until I got mine gas grilling was pretty much burgers and dogs with an occasional steak. The family now enjoys almost everything that comes off the Egg. I don't think I've done any burgers or dogs for two years. But, my cooking abilities have expanded to the point where during the summer and for a big portion of the winter I cook on the Egg. During the winter I cook at least 3 times a week. During the summer it's almost every night. I'm willing to bet if you got an Egg you won't be eating burgers and dogs all that much anymore...

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Paul Bennett,[p]Yes, the Egg can grill. It is also one of a line of smokers made from ceramics that, as a cooking vessel, comes as close to a wood-fired brick oven as the real deal. It can support one's grilling, baking, roasting, and smoking needs. Check into the Egg. It's worth every penny.[p]Puj
  • Puj
    Options
    Sundown,[p]You are so right about what all one can cook on the Egg but don't sell burgers and dogs short. They are great on the Egg. As a matter of fact, our son's birthday lunch tomorrow will consist of only burgers and brats. The small and mini will get the call. :)[p]Puj[p]
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Paul Bennett,
    The other posts have said it all - you can do anything on an egg better than on any gas grill. But the best thing about owning an egg is the great advice and information that you will obtain from this forum. If you are willing to take the time to read here often, post questions and to go through the archives, you will become a really good cook on your egg. There is only one downside, from our perspective. Our grocery bill doubled the past month because of all the fine meats we have been cooking and all of the company we have had for dinner - ain't it GREAT!!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Paul Bennett,
    I think your statement as a replacement was accurate, because once you get a BGE, all the other grills you have probably won't be used nearly as much.
    Plus when you need help, the folks in the Green Room, are there.
    Don't wait like I did for 16 years; buy it!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Puj,
    Oh, believe me, I don't sell the burgers and dogs short but we have no kids at home and we've come to really enjoy the wide variety of goodies that come off the Egg. IN fact several times when the grandchildren have been down I do crank up Miss Mini and do some Hebrew National Hot Dogs...the ONLY hot dogs any of us will eat they are great on the Egg. Just too many other things to experiment with.

• Puj
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Hebrew National, ah .... We put the mini to use over the 4th to specifically grill HBs for my dad. Nothing like'um![p]Puj
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Paul Bennett, I cooked on a gas grill for almost 30 years and when I got my BGE 2 years ago, I thought I would hang onto the gas grill for burgers and hot dogs and other "quick" items. I have used it exactly once in two years and that was becasue it was raining cats and dogs and we just wanted three hamburgers cooked. The real difference comes in well done burgers. Unless the gas grill, the BGE will reatin juice in the well cooked burger (which is what my wife likes).

• Unknown
    Options
    Hey are all you folks getting a comission?! Just kidding, I'm sold. Thanks for your advice. I stopped by a BBQ store yesterday to check out Webers, wanting to try charcoal. The sales guy gave me a couple wings and a beef rib that had been cooked on a BGE with nothing but charcoal - no marinade, no wood chips. And you all know they were really juicy and smokey. Just reading through this forum made my mouth water, all that wonderful sounding slow smoked rubbed marinated stuff...mmmmmm. The only question I had was about things that I like to cook fast and hot, and you've answered that. [p]Now the only question is which accessories to get...and how to keep from getting too fat!
  • Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    Paul, I've had my Egg about 3 months. A couple of weeks ago I took my macho DeWalt reciprocating saw to my old gasser. I cut that old thing into about 10 piece and dropped her into the garbage bin. My satisfying bit o destruction I've done in quite a while.[p]Get the Egg, death to the gasser.....[p]The opinions expressed here are surely my own, however, they may be shared elsewhere in the Green Room.[p]Randy[p]