Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome alignment question

Options
BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I just installed the Nomex Gasket on my large and am in the process of doing a couple of sub 400 degree burns before I do the first cook.

My question is this:

I can't seem to get the dome aligned no matter how much I adjust it. For the most part the it is aligned all the way around with the exception of one spot where there is a bit of a under bite. Is this common? Should you be able to get it aligned perfectly or is being a little off ok? I replaced the gasket several months ago with the old felt and have since cooked it from doing some high temp cooks.

I wonder if maybe I didn't bend the hinge a little when I tipped my egg over in November. I think it fell directly on the hinge. I can't see any physical bend but who knows.

Anyway when you make adjustments what bolts do you loosen and in what order do you tighten them up?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That my friend is an Auburn egg with the underbite :)

Loosen the bolts and get a close as you can, it should be good. If you are really wondering about the band, price one from the mothership.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    :laugh: Your killing me with the Barn reference.

I have adjusted it several times. I think it is ok. I don't think it's ever been perfect but then again I put it together not a dealer. Its been sitting on 400 degrees for a couple of hours now and the gasket looks fine.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I've adjusted my bands scores of times attempting to cure the underbite. But, no matter what I do, my dome sits about 1/4 inch back from the base. As a result, I burn up a lot of gaskets. Mine is so bad that I have to clamp the hinge together with vice grips in order to seal it enough to get the fire to go out.

I've loosened the band and aligned it but whenever I tighten the bolts I'm back to the same situation. A few times I thought I had it good but after opening/closing a few times, I was back to the underbite.