Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 butts

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor called the other day and asked if I would cook PP for a party of 50. I said sure and told her to get 4 butts, should be plenty. Well she brought 8 8lb butts so they are now on the Eggs cooking. We used to have a clean Egg for pizzas and baking and a dirty Egg for greasy meat cooking. Oh well, I put the dirty Eggs plate setter and grids in the clean Egg, hope it keeps it nice. Both larges are cooking. -RP
IMG_1049Small.jpg

Comments

• Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    First I have heard of a clean and dirty egg. One for cooking pizza and baking and the other for cooking meat. What is it that you can taste in the pizza and bread? when you cook them in a dirty egg? Or do you do it for another reason other than taste/
    Thanks
  • AZRP
    Options
    Won't be able to answer your question until I've finished this cook. -RP
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    If its not too much trouble post a picture of how you have them stacked on the eggs. I have a big cook coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for "butt arrangement" tips. Thanks.
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Should be interesting to see if you can tell a difference. The nice thing about owning an egg is that the neighbors ask you to cook for them. This world needs a lot more eggs being sold!!!!!! Best to you and your cook.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    That is a lot of pork, Randy! Regarding the clean/dirty designations...can't you run a really high temp cleaning cycle on the "clean" egg to restore it back to its preferred state? Or will the smoke/pork do it in for good?
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Hey Randy
    What an egg load.......still it seems like a lot of meat for 50??? unless thei are starving......good luck and send pics of the finished cook
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Broc once said he uses one of his eggs for cooking and one for baking clean/dirty.

Maybe he will jump in with some information.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Wondered the same thing... more like 25# or so for 50 - with sides.

Seems like there will be plenty.

GG
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Take out the platesetter clean the bottom ashes out and give the remaining lump a stir.

Let that lump go up to 500 or so till it is gone. You'll get rid of whatever drippings you accumulated with that cook.

When my Eggs get to grungy a purge burn does the trick.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Bon Jour, Mes Amis!

My ears, they are burning, no?

Oh, yes! I use my Medium for stinky-meatie stuffs... and the Small for bakerei, und veg-et-ables [as Wolfgang Puck would say].

That way, I don't have to clean the Small every time I want to use it for delicate things

;)
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Asked to cook for 50. These things just don't happen to me. That's a good thing - I'm glad it happens to someone who can handle it. I have faith that you can.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    You didn't waist any time jumping in head first from your trip! :laugh: I guess I'm just clean freak with my medium (wrapp platsetter with foil, drip pans,scrub grill after each use and caveman cooks at higher temps) but mine never really gets that dirty. Sure it will get ash and some greasy film on edge of fire ring but not that greasy build up like on the converted gassers to Kingsford before the days of enlightnment. ;)
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Options
    Looks great! Can you show us how you fit them in the Eggs?
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    RP:

What a task! I can only imagine the work involved. I am sure they came out well and your neighbor will be very grateful for many years to come.

Uncle Phil
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Woulda liked to see a pic of em all 8 loaded up RP ;)
  • AZRP
    Options
    Here they are last night, dirty Egg has the TJV rig.
    IMG_1050Small.jpg
    Clean Egg with the grid extender.
    IMG_1051Small.jpg
    And it really smells good here this morning! -RP
    IMG_1052Small.jpg
    IMG_1053Small.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks great i still want to know about the clean/dirty egg for baking question so if i miss it please email me.. or i will be emailing you ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Looks great! I'm about to cook for 125 or so and based on your math it looks like I'm track with my plan to cook 10-12 butts.

How long between finish time to serving time?

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • AZRP
    Options
    Terry, not sure what your question is, but we have two large Eggs and we cook meat in one and pizzas, bread, and casseroles in the other. The clean one didn't have any grease in it until now. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    I'm guessing they will be done around noon and serving time is 6 pm. -RP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Bob o asked if there was a diffrence in the bread that comes off a either clean or "dirty" egg and you said you were going to have to wait until after this cook to find out....

and i want to know the results ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    Options
    I really don't think it will make any difference, it was just nice to be able to pick up the grid and platesetter without getting your hands dirty. -RP
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    Wow sounds like you are going pro on us!! Glad to see you have enough space for all of them. Hoss