Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife came home with an injured EGG

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife called and said to meet her at the garage because she bought something for me and I needed to helper get out of the car.
She came home with a used Large BGE that the body has been cracked and needs repair along with a new seal.
I see the thread below for the seal replacment but what material and process for the crack in the body.
Your help is appreciated.
Jim

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Jim Minion,[p]I used Hercules Furnace Cement. A friend bought it for me at Lowes for, I think, less than $10. Their website is at http://www.herchem.com[p]I did once exchange emails with someone from Hercules and he assured me that it was safe to use to repair a ceramic grill (ie - it doesn't give off toxic byproducts when cooking on the grill).[p]Others here have used Rutland and other products. I know CharWoody, who should be posting here but is also available on the Primo forum, has some good experience with Rutland.[p]I think you'll find the BGE to be a good complement to your other cookers. With a BGE and some WSMs, there's not a whole lot you can't do. Well, I guess a whole hog is still out of the question, but other than that, you're all set.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Yes. Char Woody should be posting here. I pray he will be back. [p]Jim, Fred can be reached via email at BBQ-Dude@mchsi.com. And a good BBQ Dude he is.[p]Also, Cornfed, I consider you the EXPERT in reparing broken eggs. And the Hercules has stood the test of time. [p]Check with yall in about a week![p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Have fun at the beach! Drink some drinks with umbrellas in them for me! My clock has been stuck on beer thirty for the past hour or so, and it looks like it will be there for the next couple of hours. Looking very forward to "gettin' spun" with some replenishment rubs in time for the upcoming tailgating season. Can't freakin' wait!!![p]Of course, the Jets will likely suck, but I have very high hopes for the tailgating food this season!!![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]forgot to add...[p]brokenegg.jpg[p]Not pretty, but it's been chuggin' along for years now. HEEEE!!!!
    Cornfed

• Unknown
    Options
    Cornfed and NB,
    Thanks will look into it and take some pictures, was not treated real well but it all seems to be there.
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Patch that badboy up, and it will be a cookin machine. Nice compliment to your current Qing aresenal. 'specially for chicken. MMMM mmmm.[p]Yall have a great weekend.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Heeeeee!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • elFloyd
    elFloyd Posts: 50
    Options
    MVC-001F.jpg?bcoDGY9AAgE7x.7B
    <p />Jim Minion, It can be fixed. Fireplace cement works wonders.[p]elFloyd

• elFloyd
    Options
    MVC-004F.jpg?bcoDGY9AQx0yMLEa
    <p />Jim Minion, Here's how she looked after the parts were cemented back together.[p]elFloyd

• elFloyd
    Options
    MVC-006F.jpg?bcoDGY9AaATUfOIC
    <p />Jim Minion, Add a little ceremic paint, and good as new. Immediately after repairs were made, I did an 18 hour cook. Temperature held perfectly at 225-250.[p]Good Luck!
    elFloyd

• Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    My daughter is moving this weekend not sure this weekend won't be anything but work.
    You have a great one !!
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    elFloyd,
    Thanks, mind if I contact you if I have questions?
    Jim