Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started out with a 12# brisket. Trimmed probably around a pound of fat leaving about a 1/4". Put it on the XL at 10:00 last night with three fist size pieces of pecan and half a handful of hickory chips. Pulled at 10:00 this morning at 192 internal and double wrapped in foil with a can of beef broth. Wrapped in a towel and put it in a chest for two hours. This is my second brisket and they were both outstanding. Packing some up to bring to my folks.

101_2768800x600.jpg

101_2773800x600.jpg

101_2775.jpg

Lesson Learned - I had trouble keeping the temp down. Tried to keep it at 250 but it stayed around 280 with the vents closed. Even ran up to around 300 at one point this morning with the vents closed. Finally realized what the problem was around daylight. There was about an 1/8" gap between the dome and the base at the back of the Egg. Simply lifted the dome and put it back down and it closed up. If you ever have trouble keeping the temp down, check your dome to base seal. Pretty lucky I didn't ruin a hunk of meat - the only thing I can figure is that it was choice instead of select.

Comments

• That brisket looks really tasty. Glad you got your temp issue worked out too. I've been getting smoke leaking out the back of my egg. Not sure if I need to replace the gasket or if its just in need of a good tightening.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    250...280...300...still looks great from here.
    Do you have the spring assist on your XL?
    Thanks for posting photos after lunch.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I have the nomex gasket on my XL which is performing like a charm. I may need a little adjustment on my band but I think I just didn't ensure that it was closed. Sometimes I give the dome a little wiggle after closing. Too many beers with boiled crawfish last night. B)
  • I do have the spring assist.

Followup on the brisket. Vacuum packed some to bring to my folks with a little coke. That way my mom can simply put the bag in boiling water.

The flat and the rest of the "debris" are in an aluminum pan with a cut up vidalia and couple ounces of coke and Sweet Baby Rays. Going back on the Egg for some more smoke after while.

Thanks to several folks with Q websites for the assist. Basically followed Third Eye's method on his website (except for my problems with the temp) both times I have done a brisket - works great.
  • bbqmyway
    bbqmyway Posts: 64
    Frank a little off the subject but I recently saw in the local paper that it is against the law to get a haircut on Sunday in Houma ?

Brisket is next to ribs as my favorite but haven't had one look as good as yours does.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Not on Sunday but on Monday's. It is a law that has been on the books for years and never was an issue until some bonehead complained about a barber cutting hair for kids before their proms or graduation, I forgot which it was. The DA promised to have the law removed from the books.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    It almost seems the spring assist helps a little to much on the XL at times.
    Sounds like you have the brisket worked out perfect.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • It was Mondays. With all the other issues out there, we have to be bothering someone cutting hair on a Monday - right!!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Good save on the brisket--I think that I'll be trying another one this weekend. That last one I cooked didn't quite come out as good as the one I did before it.