Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I might buy?

Options
notsohot
notsohot Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for insight on a BGE purchase. I'm just a weekend warrior, this seems like a large investment for a once-a-weeker! Let me know what you think.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You might start that way B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Look at it this way. The initial outlay is large, but it will last you a lifetime and has a lifetime warranty.

Unless you do something stupid like drop it off a balcony you won't be buying another cooker. For that matter either will your next of kin. unless you decide to buy 2 (or 6) Eggs.

:woohoo:
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    After getting one, you will no longer be a once-a-weeker. You will look for any reason to cook something on the BGE. A new world will open, as you must see as you browse this forum.
  • notsohot
    notsohot Posts: 6
    Options
    OK, I can understand that. Should I start small and grow with time or go big now and grow into it? Honestly?
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Life changing purchase......you will not be sorry.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Depends. How many are you cooking for?

If it's just you look at the Small or Medium. If it's more then you look toward a medium or a large.

Most folks buy the large and then 6 months or so from now they will buy a small. Anyway it goes they only regret you will have is why you didn't buy one sooner. :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    notsohot,

The egg compared to a cheap gas grill, yes it is expensive.

I bought what I thought was a very nice stainless steel gas grill. One that would last me a very long time. I got it home cooked on it twice. It really was not much more than a semi-good gas grill in a stainless steel frame.

Thank goodness I made the purchase with the condition if I didn't like the way it cooked I could return it within 72 hours. It went back!!!

I just wanted a good cooking gas grill. I had a stainless steel gas smoker which I thought was very happy with.

Two weeks later someone told me if I wanted a good grill & smoker I should look at a thing that looks like a green egg.

I googled, and found a big green egg and several other ceramic grills. Ended up finding this forum. The next day I brought home a Large Big Green Egg.

The cost was no more than that stainless steel gas grill I had just returned.

After that there was no looking back and I have not regretted the purchase what so ever.

I now have 4 eggs, I don't need that many but I sure do like them.

GG
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Without a doubt YES.

Even at once a week your cooking will kick up a few notches with an Egg.

There are some mighty fine tips to be had here to help too. :whistle:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    My wifey-poo surprised me with a Medium. I was a weekend Warrior, limited to hotdogs and hamburgers. Then, I discovered this forum, and the encouragement and assistance from the regulars...

Oh, my! Now I cook for groups of 30, 50, 75... and have just been invited to do a presentation-an'-eats for a group of 100.

Weekend Warrior... huh! You'll get past that stage early on once your friends discover your metamorphosis to Grill-Meister!

Trust me!

:) :laugh: :)
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Bought a Large with table and accessories 10 years ago and went from cooking once in a while to almost every night in the spring summer and fall and in the winter I cook at least twice a week if not more.

It's like getting to Oz, just follow the yellow brick road to The Cult of The Big Green Egg!
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I have owned my egg for 42 days and cooked on my egg 39 days. (3 missed days = 2 thunderstorms and 1 tornado (the egg was ok)). I have a Weber Summit, but, thought I might go back to charcoal on occasion + I had to junk my old smoker due to rust and extreme "ugliness". Since the first day I fired up my large BGE it has been true love. This is incredible. The charcoal economy and efficiency makes this burner "super green" in my book. My Weber has not even been fired up in the last 41 days. The flexibility with the options, the recipes and support on this site, the accessories and options, this may be the best cooker ever made. I can hold 180 degrees (I did it to see if I could do it) for 16 hours or I can TRex at close to 1000 degrees on the same cooker. I can bake bread or low and slow a brisket, then the next day roast a chicken or just grill a hot dog. When I close it down, the charcoal goes out. Then the next day, I add some new to the old and off I go again. This is a great product. If you like to eat, get the egg. My 2 cents. rc
  • Kaila
    Kaila Posts: 9
    Options
    I"m basically a "newbie" to the BGE. Bought the biggest one. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Could use it nearly every night. Grilled veggies, cedar planked baked brie cheese, pizza and probably one of the easiest things made (and tastiest ) was a plane ole turkey.

Once you get to using the BGE, you'll find out all your friends will be coming over to "see what's for dinner" too.

A friend has a small one but it couldn't cook one steak AND veggies at the same time. So I had to cook the steak and then grill wok the veggies on theirs, on mine, it all went on together as well as three baked potatoes.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You stopped because of flashy lights and a big blow??? fur shame!!

If that was the case all of New England would stop every time stike opened his mouth..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    No wonder you got lost!! It's the green brick road you have to follow in Oz..
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    notsohot,

Get a BGE and you go from weekend warrior to Eggs-pert after a short learning curve. The curve can be shortened by asking questions on the forum.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    since we got our Egg, our gas bill has been cut in half

thats Natural Gas btw.

wait...we got a Prius right after we got the Egg, but my gasoline bill went down 75%
  • Unknown
    Options
    i started with a smokey joe when i was first married, then the little gasser from the hardware store $100+ it died,,a slightly bigger gasser $200 etc then the $700 broilking which fell apart after 7 years.. then the egg. if i had bought the egg when i first saw it i would have saved a lot of money.life time warranty to say nothing of how good the food is, i am jealous of the young folks who get started eggin in there 20's and 30's. i regret not buying sooner. i have a large and a mini will be adding a small in the future.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I'll chime in a little also.
    Purchased a medium green egg five months ago. My brother in law has had one for years down in Florida which I took little notice. We went down there for Christmas and he cooked fillets and turkey on it. Both were the best I have ever eaten and complimented him on his culinary skills. He then told me it is not him it is the egg and he was correct!
    I cook three or four times a week on the egg even in winter. I will never be without one again and look forward to every planned cook. They are incredible and you will never regret the purchase.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Notsohot,

Go ahead, make your day. Buy a large. You won't regret it!!!
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    I am also a weekend warrior cook. I rarely get home before 7:30 during the week so normally I only cook on the egg during the weekends but I do use it all winter long. It is really about the same price or cheaper than a stainless Steel gasser at Lowes. When I was making my decision I also was not sure about cooking with Charcoal but I am glad that I did now. The egg is very versital and opens you up to cooking more than just chicken, hamburgers and hotdogs. You learn a lot just being on this forum talking about the egg and reciepes. Before I got the egg I never thought of slow cooking Ribs for 4-5 hours like I do now or cooking a pizza like in a brick oven.
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    I remember having those same thoughts!!! Now I am a 3 times a week cooker! I also have a traveler (Small) that I take camping with me. Absolutely the best investment I have ever made. I didn't know how much of a foodie I was until I got my EGG. I would say go for it!
  • pplkook
    pplkook Posts: 54
    Options
    Might as well add my 2 cents. I was a die hard webber-head, grilled at least twice a week as well as every occasion (turkey, ribroasts, etc). I had been looking a VERY long time for a better solution, something that was more flexible. I came across the ceramic type "eggs" and lurked for over 2 years before buying a large a month ago.

Should have bought one sooner. Best money I have ever spent on a cooking device, period. I am continually amazed. From slow cooked pork roasts, to t-rexing a steak, to a pizza that was absolutely some of the best pizza I have ever had.

Having researched for so long, I specifically chose BGE over the other brands for the following reasons:

1. Lifetime warranty with an ESTABLISHED retail network
    2. Outstanding availability of 3-rd party "after market" products
    3. Online community/support network

Good luck, dive in, you wont regret it. Listen to and learn from others, the possibilities are limitless.

-pplkook