Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to do 6 racks of ribs at once - ???

Options
Walter
Walter Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry if this is a duplication... I posted this over the weekend and now I can't find it. I also checked the archives for the past 2 weeks - no luck.[p]I tried cooking 3 racks of baby back ribs using the BGE V-rack inverted over a drip pan. The racks were slipping through so I cut them in half so each half had it's own "slot" in the V-rack. I used a holder for a smaller pizza stone across a drip pan in the middle of the V-rack to get more support. It worked pretty well except the thicker halves would get stuck and that made flipping them difficult at times.[p]I'd like to cook 6 racks for a party... is there a proven method to cook 6 racks at once?[p]Also, should I trim the thicker end, removing some meat and/or some ribs to get an even thickness throughout the slab?[p]Thanks,
Walter

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Walter,
    I'm missing something here. I've done 3 full racks that had been cut in half in my inverted v-rack (always thick end down)indirect (over a drip pan) and never had a problem. A full rack might flop over a little but so what? I've also cooked 5 full racks of Baby back ribs without the v-rack direct. They even lay atop one another. The dome temp at 275º cooked for about 3 -4 hours flipping them occasionally, don't really pay attention any more to what I'm doing.Hope this helps a little

• Unknown
    Options
    Walter, I just did six racks last week with the inverted v-rack. It is kind of a pain to flip the whole rack, but it did work. I had to curl some of the racks to get them to fit. One thing I did notice was that it takes longer to cook that many slabs. [p]Omaha Mark[p]
  • Walter
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Thanks. For some reason, when they started slipped through the rack and laying down, I thought they wouldn't turn out... or I'd have even more of a problem flipping them over. Every now and then I forgot that not all surfaces need to be equally exposed to get cooked... guess I could lay down 3 racks then stack the other 3 perpendicular on top of them.[p]Walter
  • Walter
    Options
    Omaha Mark,[p]Thanks... I'll give it another try. Best part is, even the mistakes turn out great :)[p]How much longer does it take?[p]Walter