Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Butts

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE and this weekend i am to make pulled pork for about 40 people. I want to smoke about 18 - 20 pounds of Boston Butts. my plan is to start them about 11pm on friday night for the gathering that starts about 3pm the next day. 1. is that enough time? 2. can i do 3 butts on one surface using my place setter and not adding a second tier?

As always, thanks for any related information.

Mark

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    With 40 people I would try to do at least three or four butts. After cooking and pulling the pork I get around a 50% yield of meat. I would also plan at least 1/2 pound per person if they are adults which means you should have about 40 pounds of raw butt. I suppose you could get by with less with a lot of salads or if there are a lot of children.

Almost every time I have cooked butt (250 dome temp) it takes around 14 to 16 hours cook time and you also need to allow 2 hours for resting and cooling. I would start them at 8 pm the night before. Also make sure you check on the temps throughout the night so you don't have an angry mob on your hands.

I have placed 2 butts (15lbs) on my medium on a single grate. Given the scope of your cook I think I would try to do 2 stacked grates with 4 or 5 butts.

Others may have better advice but this fits pretty close to my experiences.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
    Read THISI think it will help.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    If you only planning on serving Pork I would do at least four 8 pounders.

You could probably do three on the LGE but I have never tried it that way. You will have a good portion of your cook getting direct heat and therefore may get a little charred. Some one else could confirm this for you.

I don't think you are allowing yourself near enough time. There are two factors you have to consider.
    1. You will restrict airflow with more meat which will mean they will cook slower in the beginning and as they shrink your temp will creep up some. So you will need t check them pretty regularly.

2. If the butts are touching they will act like one huge butt and therefore your 2 hour rule will apply to the entire weight. WIth the amount you are cooking it will be almost impossible to not some touching. Try to space them out and they will also shrink away from each other.

I have done a couple of big cooks and have had both cooks go around 20 hours. Maybe a little longer. So building your fire will be crucial.

I would allow for at least 24 hours. IF they finish sooner your ok. I have kept them in a cooler in foil for 5+ hours and they are still extremely hot when I pull them.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Eggcellent advice from Bamaegg. ;)
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    I asked a similar question earlier here are the responces I got,

[url=http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=449876&catid=1
    l]linky linky [/url]

You can use the extended grid or an random grid with nuts and bolts on it to do two layers. or there is also other aftermarket rigs to accomplish the similar thing.

Just incase my hyper text is not right

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=449876&catid=1