Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buying first egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to buy my first Egg and would like your opinion. I am looking at either a XL or L. Price is not an issue and space is not an issue. Is one easier to cook with, I've heard that it is harder to cook low and slow with the XL because all that extra ceramic wants to hold more heat? I have a family of 4 and during the summer have small groups of 15-20 people about once a week hanging around the pool and wanting to eat. Any suggestion would be appeciated.

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The easy answer is get the XL, for that many people, but if it was me, I'd get a large, with plans to get a second one before long. You can cook a lot of food on a large and you will want the flexibility of two before long (capacity and different temps).

You can cook plenty of pulled pork, for example on a large and then use the other one for burgers and dogs.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I suggest buying a large & a small. It comes out to about the same money and the options are endless when cooking multiple foods. I bought a large first and within 6 months I bought a small it is the best way to go in my opinion.

Either way you will be happy with the product... :P
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    If money isn't an issue, get a large.

After you've cooked on it a bit, and learned how to tame the flame, you'll discover if you need a larger Egg.

If so, you'll probably be much happier with a large + a second large than with an XL.

:):):)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Chirocooker,

I am not an XL owner or user.

It is my wife and I most of the time. At minimum once a month I invite the entire family over, which is now 24 people. 12 adults and 12 children. 4-12 year olds and 2 infants, the rest in-between.

I am able to cook for this size group fine on the large. Sides have to be done or planed to be cooked off egg or done before and heated.

I then bought a medium and that allowed me to cook some sides. I then bought a small mainly for cooking for the wife and I. I then got the mini which I dearly love for the two of us or if a few of the grandkids are over.

With your size family I would think you would use the medium or large most of the time and that combination would work great for the bigger gatherings you mentioned.

My main reason for not getting an XL ‘at that time’ was twofold. The amount of lump and more importantly the moving of the fire ring with different setups. Now there are some accessories that appears to make the XL very easy to work with and change settings.

With money or space not being an issue…

If you get the XL it wouldn’t surprise me if you picked up a smaller egg at a later date. Possibly a large then medium.

If you get the Large I would still think you would end up getting another egg.

Get some advice from XL owners.

Looking to see you around and hearing about some of your cooks.

GG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone having trouble doing lo-n-slo on an XL. The only problem I've ever come across is that though it has a really big cross section, the dome profile is somewhat lower compared to the cross-section of the other Eggs. That is, the XL has a more oval top rather than hemispherical. So, really immense turkeys could be a problem.

I'll echo the general sentiment. You'll probably find 2 Eggs handier than 1 XL. For instance, I recently entertained 14 people with 2 mediums. Just to keep options straight, one Egg had mild wings, the other spicy hot. On another occasion, while the big bird was going on one, the other was cranking out appetizers at a higher temperature.

Also, there are quite a few accessories for the Large, making it a very versatile cooker.
  • Unknown
    Options
    chirocooker,

I am a new XL owner and had the same questions before purchasing a large or XL. We are a family of four.

I will probably want two eggs in the end, just for different temp cooks. I love the size of the XL and I can get corn, steak/chicken, and some rolls on all at one time. That being said, there have already been times when I had pork shoulders on cooking long, and would of liked to make appetizers or a different meat to serve with it. Not a necessity, but the convenience would be nice.

if $$ and space are not an issue, I would get the XL and add an medium later after you have a better idea of your usage. The XL affords the opportunity to put a number of items on the grill at one time when grilling.

Regarding the ability of the XL to cook long, I just did an 18 hour cook on two pork shoulders and they turned out great.

Can't wait to try more recipes off of this site. Thanks everyone!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    kenstl,

Thanks for your comments. There sure is an advantage of haveing the cooking space and being able to toss on some corn or spuds or both.

With the large and a few folk I have to use a second raised grid and at times I have tried to use a 3 tier setup.

With the large and out large group, I have to plan what I want to cook. With the family there are some foods I wouldn't cook because we would have to eat in shifts or some eat the spuds & vegies while others ate the main dish then ate the spuds & vegies.

When I added the medium that relieved some of the creative planning.

The XL would sure open up opportunities for cooking.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    gdenby,

The new accessories available for the XL make it much easier to use and provides more cooking options.

Having greater cooking area is always nice.

Significantly different cook temps do require a second egg.

GG
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I personally have not had any problems with low & slow on the XL.As a matter of fact,that's about all I use it for.I have a medium that I use for high temps(since the gasket is toast),and a small that I use for sides and smaller cooks.The XL is something that I could live without.I only cook for three most of the time.I bought it because it was too good a deal to pass up.I have grown to like it though,I think I would be happier with a large instead.Mostly because of dome clearance issues with the XL :)

005-6.jpg
  • Happy Hog
    Happy Hog Posts: 67
    Options
    I have a small. a large and a XL.
    If I could only have one it would be the XL :)