Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak "Green"

Options
Willie Lump Lump
Willie Lump Lump Posts: 229
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a bag of Royal Oak “Steak House” 100% Natural Wood Lump Charcoal.
Bag color is green and has new logos. Says made in USA.
Must be like Jack Daniel’s. The greens the good stuff.
It was the same price as the RO in the red bags.
The green is a slightly different shade then the BGE bag.

I’ve seen discussion here that the contents of the RO and BGE may be from the same plants.
In MHO that may be true but the BGE that I’ve used has been sorted better with larger sizes and less extraneous junk.
Some marketing consultant probably made these choices. For the regular customers be carefull you don't pass it because your still looking for a red bag.
TTFN WLL

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Just to further complicate your life - Royal Oak also comes in a blue bag. Personally I've never sensed any difference whether red, green or blue as long as it's not that sparky foreign crap.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BGE lump is definitely made by Royal Oak. I've also been told by someone in the biz, that they (manufacturers in general) sometimes will put larger pieces in larger bags. FWIW....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Maybe you could pass along to those in the biz, that we are OK with them putting larger chunks in smaller bags ;)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I second that..RO at Wally World 10lbs at $5.27 x 2 = $10.54. 20 lb BGE lump from the dealer is $21.99. Ouch.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    That may be the case but I've been getting pretty large chunks in the RO I bought at Walmart last summer (about on my last bag and I've restocked for this summer.) My guesstimate is that the last bag had maybe 20 percent that exceeded 4x6 inches by, perhaps 1+ inches thick. And yes, it usually has a bunch of dust and smaller stuff at the bottom, along with a couple rocks.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Internally lump is 'graded' just like most other manufactured items..I will almost guarantee that the BGE, which is more expensive is a higher grade...BGE buys the primo stuff from RO and pays more for it thus charges more for it..
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    Eggky,
    Where are you finding ro in the state?
    I have not been able to find it this year?
    Thanks in advance,
    jon
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I get mine at Wally world..assumed it was carried all over the state..I have bought it in Bowling Green and in Hopkinsville..havent checked anywhere else...
  • jonboy
    Options
    i have not found it around louisville. I have only checked a few stores.
    could you send me a sku no and maybe i could get a search done at a local store.
    thanks.
    jon
  • Raytheone
    Raytheone Posts: 10
    Options
    Greetings,

The only Wal-Mart I have found the RO lump at is the Madison, In. store. (about 50 miles NE of Louisville)
    Neither LaGrange or Carrollton have it. The Madison store told me they carry it year round. I just bought 8 bags, which left only 4, so call before you go!.
    If you do find any in Louisville, or in Southern Indiana, I would be interested to know where.

Happy Hunting,

C
  • jonboy
    Options
    do you have a sku no off the bag that i can track thru walmart?
    thanks in advance,
    jon
  • Raytheone
    Raytheone Posts: 10
    Options
    Jonboy,

The sku number on the receipt is 001680022812. Hope that helps!

C.
  • jonboy
    Options
    thanks.
    I will let you know if i find any.
    jon