Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bread recipes

Options
smoke
smoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
looking for some bread recipes other than listed on the website. any suggestions

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    now this one i have done... i use a dutch oven in the egg works great

DSCN0594.jpg

Bread, No Knead Brock from just across.........

OK -- Here goes! This is a no-knead recipe. Very little "hands-on" time... maybe a total of ten minutes handling ingredients.

1 Simply dump into a bowl and quickly mix together
    2 > 3 Cups all purpose flour
    3 > 1/2 tsp yeast
    4 > 1-1/2 tsp salt [I use sea salt]
    5 Then just dump in 1-1/2 cups of good tasting water
    6 > In about 20 - 30 seconds, just squish the water into the flour... don't worry about "under mixing." It will hydrate on its own.
    7 Cover with plastic, and let sit on the counter 12+ hours.
    8 < The longer it sits, the more taste it will develop
    9 The next day ---
    10 Flop the gooey mess onto a well floured countertop.
    11 >It will be really sticky, and will seem like it is too wet. It isn't!
    12 >Use flour liberally on your hands, and "powder" the dough as needed so you don't end up wearing it!
    13 Tri-fold the mess as best you can just twice!
    14 < Work the dough a bit with your fingers to de-gas the biggest bubbles. Unlike traditional bread making, don't overwork this section. You can do this in maybe 15 seconds at the most.
    15 < Leave some gas bubbles in the dough.
    16 As best you can with the gooey mess, keep your hands well floured, roll into a ball and place the dough into a lightly oiled [EVOO] bowl.
    17 Cover with a towel, and walk away!
    18 < To this point, your total contact time with ingredients is maybe a minute, include measuring the flour, yada-yada.
    19 < Just walk away, Jose! -- For two hours.
    20 Preheat your oven [Egg] to 450F, with the empty clay covered bread baker inside. I separate the body from the cover.
    21 Turn the dough out on the counter again, gently de-gassing.
    22 < Tri-fold twice!
    23 < Then shape the dough into an appropriately long "log."
    24 < Again, this is a fast-'n-furious step, taking less than a minute.
    25 < When the "log" is formed, let it rest for about 10 minutes.
    26 Quickly, toss the "log" into the clay baker, cover the baker with its clay top and put the baker into your Egg/oven for 30 min @ 450F
    27 < The extremely wet dough [superhydrated] will steam -- but the steam can't escape the clay baker easily... this is what makes that crispy, yummy crust on the bread!
    28 < BTW -- The bread will not stick to the baking pot. < Don't grease the baker, or anything. Just use it.
    29 After 30 minutes, take the lid off the cooker, and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.
    30 Viola! The deed is done!
    31 < Remove the baker from the Egg/oven
    32 < Turn your Italian loaf out on to a rack to cool at least 30 min. before slicing. The inside of a loaf of any bread needs this rest time before slicing, or the inside of the bread can turn out "gummy."
    33 Enjoy the best Italian bread you've ever had.
    34 DISCLAIMER: Do not subject the clay baker to direct heat, nor to temps above 450F. In the Egg, have a spacer between the plate setter and the baker. In a kitchen over, set the clay baker on the middle rack.

Recipe Type
    Bread

Cooking Tips
    i use a dutch oven in my egg instead of a clay baker

Recipe Source
    Author: Broc just across………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Source: BGE Forum 2008-01-17

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Hi,

You can use the egg to do just about any bread recipe designed to be done in an oven.

My favorite source for bread recipes comes from Bread Machine: How to prepare and bake the perfect loaf, by Jennie Shapter and published by Hermes House. I've been using this book for years to make breads in my bread machine, in the oven, and in the egg. The only recipe I've written up and posted from this source is for Pita Bread, but I've probably made half of the recipes in here, and they've all turned out well. The book has great pictures, and simple, easy to follow recipes. You can convert the recipes to make the dough in a stand mixer pretty easily too.

When I make bread in the Egg, I use a stoneware bread pan without its cover sitting on top of the plate setter, and set the dome temperature to whatever the recipe wants the oven temperature to be. You could also just use a pizza stone.

I'll try and make and post recipes for a few breads in the next couple of weeks.

-John
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Just as Fearless ......said above, any recipe for bread can be done on the egg. The trick is the setup. I use plate setter, legs down, with BGE ceramic feet on PS, then pizza stone on spacers. With my sourdough bread, I have found that I need an additional set of spacers plus a second pizza stone to keep the bottom from burning. You need to turn (rotate) the loaf every few minutes for even browning. Your life will be much easier if you put your loaf on parchment paper for the final rise and put it on the egg, parchment paper and all.
    Or, you can use Bente's recipe if you don't know anything about bread making. :laugh: :woohoo: